• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Best SCI-FI Movie

Aliens is very good.
Original Blade Runner, Predator, Matrix and Terminator

As with many things, the first far out classes the 2nd, 3rd or any other add ons.

Difficult to choose. Although if I had to... :whistle:

Alien, on first release in the cinema (before all this streaming bollux), in Sensurround. Scared the living sh1te out of the audience. Me included. :eek: :D

Since then, Blade Runner (Sean Young was so hot back then), Aliens 2 and Alien Resurrection, Terminator and Terminator 2, and probs the most innovative SF movie of all time, and the one I re-watch the most, The Matrix.

But never forget The Thing... :p

Alien, on first release in the cinema. Scared the living sh1te out of the audience. Me included.

Since then, Blade Runner

But never forget The Thing... :p
My father took me to see it. When John Hurt's parasitic passenger popped out he jumped as did
most of the audience. Having read the book i was a bit more prepared, but it was still frightening.
Blade Runner and The Thing round up my top three.

Alien and then Aliens (directors cut), Matrix was awesome but my favourite is probably The Thing (Kurt Russell, remake)
Don't forget all these made before the wide use of CGI, just top model makers and brilliant cinema photography.

The storyline of Alien/The Thing are very similar, a small crew stuck in a confined space trying to save themselves
and all humanity. " If just one of those... things gets down here, you can kiss all THIS goodbye. "( Ripley, Aliens )

They're both essentially updates of the classic "don't go into the cellar" horror flicks, just with updated graphics and different settings. Good fun, though... :alert:

That's why I like Blade Runner and The Matrix so much -- they actually broke the mould somewhat.

Alien and then Aliens (directors cut), Matrix was awesome but my favourite is probably The Thing (Kurt Russell, remake)
Don't forget all these made before the wide use of CGI, just top model makers and brilliant cinema photography.
Totally agree with you on that criteria, and the Matrix is the pinnacle of special effects for the end of the nineties.
Now, a great deal of films have lost their soul to the computer and a green screen.
Well, that's my rant over. :cool:

They're both essentially updates of the classic "don't go into the cellar" horror flicks, just with updated graphics and different settings. Good fun, though... :alert:

That's why I like Blade Runner and The Matrix so much -- they actually broke the mould somewhat.
I love the early BW horrors like the Triffids, Quatermass and the Pit, and the Body-Snatchers.
I could go on forever.
The films above are all good reproductions of classic movies, which is a very rare commodity
these days.

My father took me to see it. When John Hurt's parasitic passenger popped out he jumped as did
most of the audience. Having read the book i was a bit more prepared, but it was still frightening.
Blade Runner and The Thing round up my top three.
Aliens did that to me, and it was the first film I had seen in widescreen and Dolby surround sound.
My hands were killing me by the end of the film, I had gripped the arm of the seat so hard.

Quatermass and the Pit, and the Body-Snatchers.
Quatermass and the Pit really swept the audience along, believing in and being terrified by the mass
hysteria gripping ordinary people confronted by their demons. They could see themselves as both the
crowd and also the minority victims, and not liking either.
Invasion of the Bodysnatchers another, it could happen sci fi. The audience this time following a small
group trying to escape the aliens only to reach the port where the futility of what they're trying to
achieve is realised and portrayed with the Amazing Grace sequence where thousands of pods are
seen being loaded to spread the seed far and wide. The bagpipes send a tingle down your spine.

I think quite a few might have liked it, in 1972 the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards were at no1 in the charts
with Amazing Grace. They stayed there for 5 weeks. ( 6 years before being used in the film )

Back