• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Best sword for post shtf

Cheapshots

Extremely Talkative
So to preface this personal preference is defiantly one of the biggest factors in the best sword in any given situation but I thought I'd make a thread to talk about swords a little. I think its a fair assumption that most of you who are trained in the use of and own a sword suitable for field work also own either a firearm or bow of some variety. As such the role a sword would most likely hold would be a side arm for use in small spaces, if you were short on ammunition or if you had to kill quietly. I think for the most part a smaller weapon would be most suited to these roles. The gladius and Carolingian sword are both decent weapons but neither has much in the way of hand protection so a shield is an absolute necessity, they're best suited for use along side a larger shield but a buckler better suits them given the role you'd be using the sword in. A small sword is..... well its alright for the French I suppose. But my personal favourite has always been the hanger. As someone who started HEMA with sabres many of the skills and techniques I knew were transferable, its got a decent amount of weight and cutting power behind it which is something I like in a sword and something I can make good use of given my build and its just got a really nice, responsive feeling to it. You could get a bit creative too, maybe have a gladius made with some decent hand protection, maybe even a trench knife style knuckle duster handle although for that last part you'd probably be in shaky legal territory so it would be best to stay clear of that. Thoughts?

Very shaky ground legally unless you can prove a sporting or historical interest. Even those pot metal replica samurai swords can land you in a world of grief if they happen to be in plain sight of a police officer who feels like making your life more interesting .

Prang.....now that’s a practical tool....multi functional :thumbsup: Bushmans best friend

Very shaky ground legally unless you can prove a sporting or historical interest. Even those pot metal replica samurai swords can land you in a world of grief if they happen to be in plain sight of a police officer who feels like making your life more interesting .
You can't wear them in public but there's no restrictions on what swords you can own and you can buy any sword with a curved blade under 50cm or a straight blade of any length.
Prang.....now that’s a practical tool....multi functional :thumbsup: Bushmans best friend
Haven't used one but it looks a decent blade, for combat I'd want to use it along side a shield though.

Perhaps you meant parang but spell check altered it Mark? I've had a few over the years. Usually War Dept. or US military from the Pacific. I've always sold them on because they're very little use to me. The John Wiseman parang is like gold dust to buy and sell these days.

Perhaps you meant parang but spell check altered it Mark? I've had a few over the years. Usually War Dept. or US military from the Pacific. I've always sold them on because they're very little use to me. The John Wiseman parang is like gold dust to buy and sell these days.

No spell check mate lol. Not the best at spelling :thumbsup:

I don’t own one at the mo but I do intend on making one. A do a lot of Bushcraft so it will come in handy.

Ah man! I give you the perfect excuse and you go and waste it. I always blame spellcheck unless I've farted and then I blame the dog.

:rofl:Yeah a should have grabbed that excuse ystranc lol...spellcheek is getting the blame frome now one.....dam spellcheck again:D

A blame the dog to:thumbsup: pluses of having them;)

I've also received considerable training on the use of a sword and would find it immensely useful in displaying my grace, accuracy and style.

I remain unconvinced about its use for anything else and am not sure it's the perfect "silent option".

A hatchet or tomahawk would probably be of more use as at least it can prep the firewood.

I've also received considerable training on the use of a sword and would find it immensely useful in displaying my grace, accuracy and style.

I remain unconvinced about its use for anything else and am not sure it's the perfect "silent option".

A hatchet or tomahawk would probably be of more use as at least it can prep the firewood.

Well if you were going to the completely silent option I'd probably use something like the old fairbairn sykes but that type of things nasty business.

We all live pre-disaster at the mo in the understanding that tshtf could happen under a number of reasons......so our best bet is to have tools that better our lives and fit into our every day activities. Such as knifes,rifles,bows and so on....staying within the law is a must for not drawing attention to ourselves. And if the worst happens then we deal with it. That’s all we really have!

So imho weapons are an example of actions rather than items.

Personally I use sparing swords on a fairly regular basis, HEMA is as much a sport as any other martial art.

Back