• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Beware the Blandford Fly

Paul N

Site Manager
Staff member
Never heard of it? Neither had I until recently. It first appeared on our shores in the 1960s and 70s when people appears at doctor's surgeries around Blandford Forum in Dorset. It's a little black fly about 2-3mm that lives close to water, mostly in the south of England. It's bite makes horsefly bites seem mild - get bitten and you could end up in A&E. They are most active in May and June and they seem to prefer to attack exposed ankles and feet, producing a severe, localised reaction around the area of the bite - so keep them covered. Mr Google will help you if you want to know more.

Last edited:
Hello Joe, how the hell are you? :D
Still alive mate, well I did have a pulse this morning. Going to see a neuro surgeon next Friday to see if they can operate on my spine. Right now my legs are telling me I've had 15 pints because legs and brain don't communicate. Apart from those minor ailments I'm about as fit as a daddy long legs with half its legs missing :sad:

Still alive mate, well I did have a pulse this morning. Going to see a neuro surgeon next Friday to see if they can operate on my spine. Right now my legs are telling me I've had 15 pints because legs and brain don't communicate. Apart from those minor ailments I'm about as fit as a daddy long legs with half its legs missing :sad:
Sorry to hear that mate, I have had five surgeries on my spine so I know
what you're going through.
Mine is four prolapsed discs at the base of the spine, what is going on with your back mate?

Yeah but they do produce bloody good cider Mike
Can't believe they are getting away with this lagers name. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
hero1 (1).jpg

Sorry to hear that mate, I have had five surgeries on my spine so I know
what you're going through.
Mine is four prolapsed discs at the base of the spine, what is going on with your back mate?
I have something called Stenosis, my L4 and L5 vertebrae are collapsing and crushing the nerves to my legs, I have facet joint damage to about four vertebrae and all the discs are either in shreds or completely gone. All in all I'm in a **king mess

I have something called Stenosis, my L4 and L5 vertebrae are collapsing and crushing the nerves to my legs, I have facet joint damage to about four vertebrae and all the discs are either in shreds or completely gone. All in all I'm in a **king mess
That's very close to my situation Joe, it is a very intense problem mate and I wouldn't give it to my worse enemy... :(

That isn't going to stop you mate, you will get it sorted Joe and bounce right back, I have every
confidence in you. :thumbsup:

Blandford flies > Dorset > Cider > Lager > Bad backs - it's like that psychiatry test where you have to say the first word that comes into your head! :rofl: I wonder what a psych would make of you lot? :)

Blandford flies > Dorset > Cider > Lager > Bad backs - it's like that psychiatry test where you have to say the first word that comes into your head! :rofl: I wonder what a psych would make of you lot? :)
Not much…a trickcyclist would probably retire to bed with a headache after five minutes with us lot.

A lot of money and a Nobel prize for psychology, and he/she would need therapy afterwards themselves. :tea: :p

@Ark79 get a look at this lager mate, and it is legit. View attachment 114444

I had to look up this beer. Eye catching for sure!!!

New company making its name in trendy circles...

'Fucking' is apparently the name of a village in Austria. And 'Hell' means light ( as in light beer) in german. Hence Fucking Hell and how they can quite legitimately brand a beer that way.

Might be crap beer, but awesome marketing....

Alan

Back