• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Bicycle powered charger

Woodlander

Very Addicted
Not strictly bushcraft, but in this modern day most of us take a phone, camera, need to charge batteries etc.
Now the vehicle owners, you have a cigarette lighter you can plug your tech into. Those of us that use bicycles to travel, well here's an answer to charging your tech while travelling!
image.jpeg image.jpeg
It's not quite finished, was testing it and got so excited it works that I had to share!
It's a 6v 3w bottle Dynamo, instead of connecting it to lights, it's connected to a box of tricks I designed,
and from that is a usb female port that you plug your charging cable into.
Inside the box is a 5+ fixed voltage regulator, a bridge rectifier, and 1000uf capacitor.
Now, to those not electronically minded, here's the simple terms : the dynamo produces 6v A/C, the components in the box turn it into 4.8-5v D/C, which is what is needed to charge most phones, cameras, lithium ion batteries and power banks.
Cost the grand sum of Ā£10 to make, and you get to charge your kit fer nowt! ( well apart from some sweat and saddle sore šŸ˜‚)

Nice going, now to test it to see how far you have to go to do a full / half charge, I will be interested as it's something I've thought about :)

Not strictly bushcraft, but in this modern day most of us take a phone, camera, need to charge batteries etc.
Now the vehicle owners, you have a cigarette lighter you can plug your tech into. Those of us that use bicycles to travel, well here's an answer to charging your tech while travelling!
View attachment 14742View attachment 14743
It's not quite finished, was testing it and got so excited it works that I had to share!
It's a 6v 3w bottle Dynamo, instead of connecting it to lights, it's connected to a box of tricks I designed,
and from that is a usb female port that you plug your charging cable into.
Inside the box is a 5+ fixed voltage regulator, a bridge rectifier, and 1000uf capacitor.
Now, to those not electronically minded, here's the simple terms : the dynamo produces 6v A/C, the components in the box turn it into 4.8-5v D/C, which is what is needed to charge most phones, cameras, lithium ion batteries and power banks.
Cost the grand sum of Ā£10 to make, and you get to charge your kit fer nowt! ( well apart from some sweat and saddle sore šŸ˜‚)
Brilliant innovation wild, as Al said, keep us updated with the progress

Pedal power :thumbsup:Following closely also. As bob said.....Full charge half charge.

most phones take around 4-6 hrs to charge ....thats some distance your going to have to cycle :thumbsdown:...you would be better of storing a 6v battery in one of the boxes and use the genny to "top it up"...and then charge phone from the battery :)...that way you dont have to cycle round and around to charge your phone :rolleyes:

2 of these in parallel would give you 10amps (more than enough for a weeks charging of phones )

Panasonic LCR064R2P 6V 4.5Ah Sealed Lead Acid Replacement Battery

cheap at Ā£5 each

Last edited:
Back