• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Big Feral Pig Roaming Outer Sydney Suburb

Would be interesting to see how the catch this one, they can be very aggressive! I helped catch one that was twice this size on a small dry island in the middle of a swamp. It was my job to distract it whilst someone got some ropes on it. That was fun!!! Another story for the grandkids later on:)
Keith.

Looking at the bricks in the photo of it next to the gatepost, to estimate the height of the piggy at the shoulder, I estimate this one to be in the region of 22"-24". A full grown adult but not as big as Keith's piggy.

Very difficult to judge size sometimes by pictures, some people pose in the background further back making the animal look larger than it is. Sometimes body size is not the problem, though even small pigs can hit you hard. We were down by the creek one day in the Territory, for some reason I did not have a gun with me, big mistake! We were challenged by a boar, not a large one, but his tusks were large! We had one dog that was stupid, so stupid it could not be trained. It flew at the boar despite me shouting at it to stay & with one quick swipe half the dogs face fell away from the head. Many people tend to underestimate the danger. A wild boar can kill you & eat you.
WILD_BOAR_2_REDUCED.jpg
This is not my photo, but as you can see they can get very big over here.
Keith.

I was taking the height of each brick of the gatepost as 3 1/4" and each mortar seam as 1/2" and rounding it down a little because the piggy was in the foreground of the gate.
Architectural details can be very useful for estimating hight and therefore range so I practice it mentally. A good rule of thumb is that a door is more often then not 6'6", a house brick is around 3"1/4.
This latest photo gives no proper scale reference except the plants under the piggy's body. They're outside my experience. What are they and what is the normal size of their foliage?
The pig is in sharp focus while the man kneeling behind the pig is out of focus, he cannot be used as a scale reference without more information. The piggy is also displayed to additional advantage by placing it on a hump of earth. (Cheating)

I was taking the height of each brick of the gatepost as 3 1/4" and each mortar seam as 1/2" and rounding it down a little because the piggy was in the foreground of the gate.
Architectural details can be very useful for estimating hight and therefore range so I practice it mentally. A good rule of thumb is that a door is more often then not 6'6", a house brick is around 3"1/4.
This latest photo gives no proper scale reference except the plants under the piggy's body. They're outside my experience. What are they and what is the normal size of their foliage?
The pig is in sharp focus while the man kneeling behind the pig is out of focus, he cannot be used as a scale reference without more information. The piggy is also displayed to additional advantage by placing it on a hump of earth. (Cheating)

Exactly, that is what I was saying, but we can see that the vehicle is in focus, & the man is in between the vehicle & the pig. At the angle this pic is taken we can see that the vehicle is on the edge of the road & not far from the pig.
Here is another shot of the same boar.
Keith.
WILD_BOAR_3_REDUCED.jpg

that a lot of pork.
Yes, a large boar like this fills up the freezer. We had a generator for a while in the Territory which made things easier for a while. By the time we would finish the pig we were desperate for some goose or Buffalo! But in those circumstances you have to take what is on offer, game moves about.
Keith.

we could have had half a domestic pig back along, if we had wife reckons we'd of been eating pork and nothing but pork for about 2 years! and that's a small animal compared to the one in your photo.

Back