• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Big hornet or bee.

divebuddy

Staff member
Swatted this today buzzing around in the car port. Sent the picture to "hornet watch" as not sure if it's one of those dodgy ones that attack normal uk bees.
DSC_0798.JPG

It is a Hornet but not one of the Asian ones. If you can find the nest it would be worth letting any local beekeepers know about it...they would probably be happy to kill it for you.
Don't take any risks, multiple hornet stings can be quite dangerous.

It is a Hornet but not one of the Asian ones. If you can find the nest it would be worth letting any local beekeepers know about it...they would probably be happy to kill it for you.
Don't take any risks, multiple hornet stings can be quite dangerous.
I once made the ill advice decision to attempt to clear a rather large hornet's nest with a couple of petrol bombs made with the jars from the big kilogram Nutella jars and couple of grenades. Didn't go as well as planned.

I once made the ill advice decision to attempt to clear a rather large hornet's nest with a couple of petrol bombs made with the jars from the big kilogram Nutella jars and couple of grenades. Didn't go as well as planned.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Was it almost worthy of a Darwin Award?

Was it almost worthy of a Darwin Award?
I mean we got stung a few times but it was more of a case of the hornets apparently being a lot tougher than we expected and the petrol bombs not working than nearly blowing ourselves up.

Seems to me like a regular European hornet (Vespa crabro).

Please make sure you check your local juridical situation about these. Contrary to common beliefs this species is endangered in many countries, killing specimen (or even destroying nests) punishable by law.

In Germany the vespa crabro is under legal protection since 1987, status unchanged. Killing a specimen is punished by a fine of EUR 50.000,- (no joke).

European hornets are not protected in the UK because of their predation of endangered native British honey bees and the fact that their population shows no national trend towards being endangered in any way in the British Isles. The Asian hornet is already in the southern third of the U.K. and is spreading northward and westward.

Can't see that Asian Hornet surviving in the North/Scotland the Winters would be too much, besides that they wouldn't be able to fly over the Ice wall separating the North from South:)

New app to report Asian hornet sightings
This smartphone app has pictures to help identify Asian hornets and a way of directly reporting their presence to DEFRA....since they're actually from temperate regions of Asia our British weather is comparable to their natural environment, their spread is only really limited by the speed at which the can reproduce and expand their numbers.

image.jpeg

Back