• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Big moth

divebuddy

Staff member
Found this chap in the garden today. About 3cm long.
DSC_0715.JPG

I think you’ll find that’s a cockchafer beetle rather than a moth. The grubs feed on roots and then emerge around this time of year often in large numbers. They can be an absolute menace as far as killing grass when they are in the larval stage

I think you’ll find that’s a cockchafer beetle rather than a moth. The grubs feed on roots and then emerge around this time of year often in large numbers. They can be an absolute menace as far as killing grass when they are in the larval stage
definitely a cockchafer also known as a maybug, The bats love hunting them

Yep, that is Melolontha melolontha (the common cockchafer).
I am not sure if you have those over there, too, but there is also Melolontha hippocastani (the forest cockchafer) over here:

Melolontha-hippocastani.jpg

Those are fun to watch - for as long as there is no campfire. Otherwise prepare for a suicide commando swarm. :lol:

Back