• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Bikepacking Kit.

Big G

Very Addicted
I'm finally get around to getting my Mountain bike sorted out for some wildcamping trips this year.

I'm booked on to a 2 day cycling maintenance course at our local cycling academy.

I've been looking at the various bike packing bags from the likes likes of Alpkit and Wildcat gear, they're bloody expensive, even just for a handle bar harness's and seat packs.

I've joined the Bear Bones bikepacking forum, for some idea's on what kit folk's are using, and i'm keeping an eye on the classified thread :D

I'll stick a few pic's up when i get my bike kitted out, and hopefully a few trip reports :thumbsup:

This sounds interesting Gary :thumbsup:

The maintenance course sounds very worthwhile doing.

Look forward to seeing your rigged bike........hope you have some good luck finding the bits n bobs mate;):thumbsup:

Cheers Bill, I think it's gonna be a bit of learning curve, i'll prob's just strap the bulky stuff like the tent, to the bike and wear a small rucksack with the other kit in it.

I'll prob's get a couple of the bikepacking bags as i get further in to it. I'm gonna have to build my fitness up first, just take it easy :rofl:

My bike needs a few jobs doing on it, brakes need bleeding, and just check stuff over on it. This bike maintenence course should be ideal to get my bike sorted :thumbsup:

Cheers Bill, I think it's gonna be a bit of learning curve, i'll prob's just strap the bulky stuff like the tent, to the bike and wear a small rucksack with the other kit in it.

I'll prob's get a couple of the bikepacking bags as i get further in to it. I'm gonna have to build my fitness up first, just take it easy :rofl:

My bike needs a few jobs doing on it, brakes need bleeding, and just check stuff over on it. This bike maintenence course should be ideal to get my bike sorted :thumbsup:
One answer Gary might be to get a light weight bike trailer that way you can carry a bit more gear

One answer Gary might be to get a light weight bike trailer that way you can carry a bit more gear
Bike Trailer - Coupling 80 Kilos 90 Liters Pneumatic Tires Cargo Luggage Bicycle Handle Drawbar on amazon

Bike Trailer - Coupling 80 Kilos 90 Liters Pneumatic Tires Cargo Luggage Bicycle Handle Drawbar on amazon
I've looked at the bike trailer's Joe, but it could be a bit of a hassle getting it over locked gates and stiles, when i'm out on a trip.

I think i'm just rather carry my kit on the bike :thumbsup:

If i was just riding on roads i think a trailer would be ideal, be taking it off road it would be bouncing all over, esp on some of the trails out in the sticks.

I've looked at the bike trailer's Joe, but it could be a bit of a hassle getting it over locked gates and stiles, when i'm out on a trip.

I think i'm just rather carry my kit on the bike :thumbsup:
Very true mate, I was sure what sort of trekking you had in mind

I've bought myself a Roswell tail pack off the bay, cost £14 and impressed so far. Used it for an overnight youth hostel trip with my son and to carry jackets to the pub and back a few times and am impressed so far.

Also bought an alpkit joey bar harness to use with my existing dry bags but not used it yet. Roswell do some frame packs as well which look quite cheap.

Cheers 38, I've seen the Roswell stuff for sale on ebay, looks decent for the money.

With bikepacking getting more popular there's quite a few manufacturers on the market making bikepacking gear, some of the decent branded stuff from the likes of Alpkit, Wildcat gear, Apidura, Orbital and Revelate designs goes for crazy money on ebay, even in used condition.

It's all new to me bikepacking, i'll have to scale the gear down i take on a trip, just learn as i go along, ie best way to carry it on the bike.

Aye, seen the bundle deals on the website, still a chunk of money for a full rig out.

I'm gonna see how I get on with a small rucksack on, and strapping the bulky stuff to the bike, find out what works and doesn't, before i start spending money on stuff.

Depending on your sowing skills there are tutorials on making a frame pack.

You can strap dry bags to the bars, rather than the fuel pods I've got a decathlon bar ouch that takes wallet and snacks.

It is the world of lightweight kit however which may be where the real expense sits!!

I've seen few diy bar harness's over on the Bear Bones site, i've got some webbing straps here, i could make a diy bar harness with.

Some of the bike setups on there are great, good place to pickup idea's and tips.

I'll just be a leisurely bikepacker, just plodding along at my own pace :rofl::rofl:

Aye, seen the bundle deals on the website, still a chunk of money for a full rig out.

I'm gonna see how I get on with a small rucksack on, and strapping the bulky stuff to the bike, find out what works and doesn't, before i start spending money on stuff.

Only problem with strapping stuff on is that it might fall off mid pedal ! I like the Alpkit stuff and suspect it would be a good investment . Alpkit do a 13 Litre double ended dry bag for £16 that has straps that you could attach to your handle bars as well . I'll keep an eye out for you Gary :thumbsup:

What about something like this G :D
1A9369ED-5D04-4F9C-A4A5-2B42E8F87D53.jpeg

I've looked at the alpkit double ended dry bag, I'd still use the joey as it gives some protection to the bag from chaffing and also allows other stuff to be carried.

Only problem with strapping stuff on is that it might fall off mid pedal ! I like the Alpkit stuff and suspect it would be a good investment . Alpkit do a 13 Litre double ended dry bag for £16 that has straps that you could attach to your handle bars as well . I'll keep an eye out for you Gary :thumbsup:
Aye Rob, some nice kit on there, i think i'll be buying some of the tapered and double opening dry bags.

I they'll be going on my birthday list, in a couple of month :thumbsup:
What about something like this G :DView attachment 12282
Wide load coming through, watch out :eek::rofl::rofl:

Back