• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

BILTONG

Used to have a local deli, who would carve you some...….the closest to proper biltong since my childhood...….yum!

Oooh...………..was it good???
You could say it was an acquired taste Lol, when dried I the sun at about 50 degrees the strips would go pretty black and take on a texture similar to rubber but after a few tiger beers it did become quite palatable

Pigeon , 3 minutes ago, now prepared for tea...…..:)

P'raps I should air dry it and see if I get pigeon biltong?? Pre sized into chewable chews!!!:rofl:

Pigeon , 3 minutes ago, now prepared for tea...…..:)

P'raps I should air dry it and see if I get pigeon biltong?? Pre sized into chewable chews!!!:rofl:

With or without feathers? :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: lol
Ok you lot have got me motivated to knock a small batch up and I'd forgotten how much I'd been missing it :)

This is what I use when making jerky
We can all slice well (I hope) but this gives consistent slices and just makes life simple. Pretty much freeze the sirloin before slicing. About once a month I get a gammon joint from Tesco, its about £3 for a kilo joint. Lightly boil it for about 90 mins low simmer then let it cool down. I slice the joint and bag up around 4 slices a bag and drop in the freezer...proper ham. If you buy the really good quality pre-packed ham it works out to £9 a kilo as opposed to £3. Do the maths, after four or five ham joints the slicer has paid for itself. In the freezer I've got bags of sliced Turkey (crown is the easiest), beef, pork and rolled breast of lamb. If its going to be in the freezer for months I bung some in the vacuum packer to stop freezer burn. I'm well fixed for sandwich/salad meat for months :)

Edit: works well with cheddar cheese as well, I just slice and leave in the fridge ready for burgers or a cheese sarnie.

@Harry Palmer my wife's going to ritually disembowel you if you keep this up. I've been after one of those for ages but I'm informed we dont have the space for one. Singing its praises on here really isnt helping :D;)

I've suggested it to my missus on the back of Harry's post too but she says just to cut it by hand and freeze it. She has a million and one bloody kitchen gadgets too. :evilstare:

Actually they are a bugger to use until you realise that if you take your hand off the sliding power button it stops...safety thing. It folds in two so takes up little space and I sort of blitz use mine, do a load of slicing then clean the machine and back in the cupboard it goes.

Kings wagyu is a must try people. Excellent quality and nice and juicy. Tad dear at £3 considering what you get...but if you come across it..get some you won’t be disappointed :thumbsup:

Back