• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Bio light stove

Good on you mate;)......look forward to seeing it at the Scotters meet....nice bit of kit. :)

It does seem like a lot of money to have a fire in a small can.
It does indeed seem a lot but ...................... ok there are no buts, it's a lot of money, I'll buy the used one, see how I get on with it and if I don't like it sell it on having sated my need to know :)

That seems sensible, I like mine but I'm also just as happy to use a Swedish torch stove and leave my phone turned off until I need it.
The stoves that I really want to play with next are Trangia triangle and Kelly kettle/ hobo stove. Probably the hobo stove first.

Last edited:
It does indeed seem a lot but ...................... ok there are no buts, it's a lot of money, I'll buy the used one, see how I get on with it and if I don't like it sell it on having sated my need to know :)

Not sure what model you have purchased Al?

Like most kit available.....updates and performance levels change all the time.
The Biolite 2 being an example of that...........reportedly giving 50% more efficiency as far as charging abilities go.
If you are buying the Mk1?......your perception of the stove may be a lot different to what @Matt finds with the Biolite 2?

It will be interesting to hear both oppinions if the model/MKs are different and the performance levels vary by much.
As for justifying the costs of kit.............if it makes your outdoor time more comfortable and fun...............to hell with it..........we buy the kit to suit our personal needs.:)

That seems sensible, I like mine but I'm also just as happy to use a Swedish torch stove and leave my phone turned off until I need it.
The stoves that I really want to play with next are Trangia and Kelly kettle/ hobo stove. Probably the hobo stove first.

Hi Ystranc.

Will you be you looking for a Trangia set....or just the burner?

The Biolite 2 being an example of that...........reportedly giving 50% more efficiency as far as charging abilities go.
If you are buying the Mk1?......your perception of the stove may be a lot different to what @Matt finds with the Biolite 2?

It will be interesting to hear both oppinions if the model/MKs are different and the performance levels vary by much.
As for justifying the costs of kit.............if it makes your outdoor time more comfortable and fun...............to hell with it..........we buy the kit to suit our personal needs.:)
Truthfully Bill from my experience of the biolite mk1(orange housing) fuel quality and the condition and capacity of the battery that you're charging make a big difference to charge rate. It also helps to keep the contact area between the metal stove section and metal contacts as well as the thermocouple probe as clean as possible. Crap fuel or a dirty stove would quickly wipe out most of the advantage of the mk2 (the one with the blue thermocouple housing)
I always peel off the bark and split the wood up thinly to minimise smoke and cokeing up.

Truthfully Bill from my experience of the biolite mk1(orange housing) fuel quality and the condition and capacity of the battery that you're charging make a big difference to charge rate. It also helps to keep the contact area between the metal stove section and metal contacts as well as the thermocouple probe as clean as possible. Crap fuel or a dirty stove would quickly wipe out most of the advantage of the mk2 (the one with the blue thermocouple housing)
I always peel off the bark and split the wood up thinly to minimise smoke and cokeing up.

Excellent tips mate, and valuable first-hand information to potential buyers/users of the stove.
It is a pretty hybrid piece of kit so I can see the need for routine maintenance and cleaning as well as fuel selection and preparation.
Good point made re the condition of the battery you need the stove to charge.👍

Having used all 3 of them I find the Tra

It's the Biolite 2 in Orange. I'll probably give it a test tomorrow when Rob and myself are out :)

The Trangia sets are tried and tested mate and have earned the following and reputation they hold👍
Currently using the 25-7 UL-HA ideal for 2/4 people and comes with the non-stick frying pan and pots.........got fed up of scrubbing burnt mess tins :whistle::D:D

Back