• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Biolite stove.

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
Most people would think it's a bit of a one trick pony but I've had one for a few years and it works well. It has a thermocouple that generates a small amount of electricity, certainly enough to charge a phone or GPS via a USB port on the back of the motor unit.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 100
Now I'm pleased you've followed up on this, I saw you mention it in the other thread, I've been watching these for years, from Gen 1 til now, instead I opted for a Mini0, it works but is finiky, how do you find yours as a) a woodburner for cooking and b) as a power source, does it charge reliably, I might have to push the button on one next year ?

EDIT: I'll follow my concerns up, the bowl, from what I've seen / read not many pans will fit right, what are your views ?

It will burn pretty much any small chunks of wood acting rather like a rocket stove. lighting it couldn't be easier using its two speed fan assist. Once the thermocouple is up to temperature it charges in short bursts via its USB port. There is also a grill BBQ attachment which I also have, very light but it's a little bulky
There is a sit on top reducer for small pans but it isn't the best feature (detailed in the last photo)...I just use wider pans and kettle.

Thanks for the reply, I did notice the pan support thing, strangely I don't recall seeing it before anywhere ? I will deffo have to give these another looking at for any longer trips.

Hi Ystranc and Al :)

Is it a one trick pony??? Just my two penneth....... I don't think it is.

Some of us are lucky enough to be able to charge phones....vapes etc in the 4x4s/cars........ that we are able to get to.....or very near to a base camp for longer stays.
For people who are unable to get a car/4x4 to..... or near their base camp..... or are on the move.........that stove would be a nice addition to the kit :thumbsup:
As far as bulk goes.....carrying a couple of battery packs would be half of that bulk and weight anyway.........and would only be fit for one purpose......charging.
The other half of the bulk would maybe be taken up by a separate stove anyway :thumbsup:

Its an item of kit that would work very well for some people :thumbsup:

Are there options for different fuel types to be used?

Morning Bill, the stove will burn any bio mass, twigs pellets pine cones etc, there are extras for them such as grill / bbq style plates, usb lights but basically they do 2 things, fire and charge, but they burn very well due to the fan, the newer model has a built in powerbank that charges when the fire is burning for use at a later time as and when needed and has 4 fan settings as opposed to 2 on the older model, I'm tempted, the newer model is available for £75 ish. BUT, will I get the use out of it, doubtful ?

Morning Al :)

I suppose fuel tabs could be used at a push?

I see your point about getting the use out of it...........all depends on what a person gets up too I reckon.
I like to be able to use a type of stove that will double up as a half decent contained campfire as well.....but that's just a personal thing ;)
Horses for courses as they say :thumbsup:

Morning Al :)

I suppose fuel tabs could be used at a push?

I see your point about getting the use out of it...........all depends on what a person gets up too I reckon.
I like to be able to use a type of stove that will double up as a half decent contained campfire as well.....but that's just a personal thing ;)
Horses for courses as they say :thumbsup:

Anything that will burn I suppose in theory ? I do like a contained fire if needed and as per my other thread, I'm enjoying the woodgas stove, contained small etc, now given that and the chance to charge instead or as well as taking my powerbank, it might still sway me ?

Thanks for the Link Ystranc :thumbsup:

If only they did this model in half its size......and cost :D

I like the idea but...when 'we' tried one it took @ four hours to charge a phone :(

Ah now this is the flip side to the hype and what I'm looking for, the downside if you want to call it that, can you remember details, how much charge did the phone have, what phone, was it on or off whilst charging, serious questions by the way, it's no great shakes to keep a small stove going in summer with dry bio-mass but wet conditions, I don't know, and let's face it, it's British weather we're talking of, look forward to your reply :)

IIRC the phone was a Samsung Galaxy S3 and we ran the battery down to about 10%. Sitting there for hours feeding the stove with fuel is not fun, better off with a small solar setup which does the job unattended IMHO...sorry Ysranc

Absolutely no need to apologise Harry, you're probably right about a solar photo-voltaic panel being much better for charging a phone. Certainly better if you need to leave it unattended.

I’ve seen someone use one to top up a power bank and also a USB led torch to ensure he always had a light source.

Back