• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Birch tree tap

A have a spot picked out for tapping....when's the best time to tap

As soon as the buds start to open to leaf and while the leafs are growing mark

The shooting and other stuff is keeping me busy now.....so I think I will watch how you guys get on :thumbsup::D

You could set one up before you start hunting and when your done it will be full Bill

Even a basic one like digging a knife in and hanging a billy can from it will give 1/2 to a litre in a few hours

image.jpeg

Got up there today and not ready yet but not long!

As a lose guide the last time I tapped the birch the date was 2nd April so it's anytime know.

Their not ready yet, but very soon the buds are swelling, we tapped anyway as you can always get a drink ;)

We got around 1/2 litre from the 2 tube taps in an hour and half.

Tube tapping, drill into the tree a good few inches make sure the tube is a tight fit as the sap will leak past the tude, wrap the tube with electrical tape for a tight fit, you have to wait a few mins before the sap flows. When your finished you must seal these big tap holes or the tree can bleed out or get seriouse infection. Do this inserting a wood wedge plug, to make a wood wedge plug take the bark of a piece of branch thumb thick, charge the end slightly pointed the bang it in the hole till it fits tight, then saw it off the excess, the ones we plugged today can easily be retapped in the same holes in a weeks time when they should be budding by simply removing the plugs and lightly boring the holes again. You can leave the bottles free standing or for a better option hang them from a hook screwed into the tree.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Quick and more popular option, good to get a drink in a survival suitation:

Bore out a hole with your knife, it doesn't have to be a deep hole (just past the bark) then dig you knife in below the hole and at a downward angle, hang a container on the knife blade the sap will usually drip where the blade meets the handle, theres not a lot you can do to seal the hole when your done other than bang the bark back in over the open hole with the handle of your knife. You will get an egg cup full every 15-30 mins even when the tree is not budding or in leaf and a lot more when in bud and leaf:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back