• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

bit confused?

elliott92

Very Addicted
as i showed in another thread i recently received this knife.. Karesuando Boar Survival Knife Fire Combo.

went out just to try the firesteel with the knife. i've only ever owned the cheap magnesium fire steels before with the saw for striking it. anyway the knife just will not create sparks with the firesteel that came with it. yet my other folding knife will create bright controlled sparks with it. ive tried repeatedly using different techniques but im certain the knife wont work with this firesteel. is there something im missing? :confused:

The spine of your knife is probably rounded off they are notorious for that - and filing it square is only a short term fix and the spines quite soft ................... the problem is in UK we like to use the spine to create sparks however ever scandinavian I know will use the blade mostly the tip and I am guessing your knife is designed to be used like wise ............

no the spine is square and slightly sharpened for the sole purpose of being able to use it with a firesteel. thats why im confused. even the description on the website says its used for this purpose. think ill ring the shop up and see what they say about it

nah im right handed. i just rang the shop, they suggested i tried the knife with different firesteels. well i did and to the same effect. this knife doesn't like firesteels. it is a stainless knife not a crabon, i know they're generally harder to use with firesteels, but this will create maybe three erratic sparks at the most. spoke to the shop again to tell them my findings and they told me to send the knife back to them, they'll have a look and try and figure whats going on, and if i want, they'll replace it for a carbon steel version. they were very helpful, but this is just hassle.

Send it back and get one that works then Elliot - they cant sell you something not fit for purpose thats illegal

Back