• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Bivvy Bags ......

Madriverrob

Extremely Addicted
So as not to destroy @Erbswurst separate thread on "Beginners Kit list " I have started a specific thread for us to discuss bivvy bags if people wish too .....

Alpkit Hunka Bivvy

376g /13oz

Coated nylon

10,000t.

£47

Alpkit Hunka XL Bivvy

503g /18oz

Coated nylon

Extra large version of Hunka.

£64

Fabric: 2.5 layer Ripstop nylon

Waterproofing: HH 10,000 mm

Breathability: MVP of 10,000 g/m²/24 hour

Snugpak sf

340g/12 oz

Fabric: Paratex Dry

Waterproofing: 5000mm Hydrostatic Head

Breathability: 7.5L of moisture per m² per 24hours.

£90.55

MOD

Ex-Army Bivvy Bag

800g/ 28oz

Fabric : Gore-Tex or MVP

Waterproofing : HH 20,000mm Specs vary depending on age and condition.

£35

My View is that the MOD bivvy bag is the perfect all rounder ........

So as not to destroy @Erbswurst separate thread on "Beginners Kit list " I have started a specific thread for us to discuss bivvy bags if people wish too .....

Alpkit Hunka Bivvy

376g /13oz

Coated nylon

10,000t.

£47

Alpkit Hunka XL Bivvy

503g /18oz

Coated nylon

Extra large version of Hunka.

£64

Fabric: 2.5 layer Ripstop nylon

Waterproofing: HH 10,000 mm

Breathability: MVP of 10,000 g/m²/24 hour

Snugpak sf

340g/12 oz

Fabric: Paratex Dry

Waterproofing: 5000mm Hydrostatic Head

Breathability: 7.5L of moisture per m² per 24hours.

£90.55

MOD

Ex-Army Bivvy Bag

800g/ 28oz

Fabric : Gore-Tex or MVP

Waterproofing : HH 20,000mm Specs vary depending on age and condition.

£35

My View is that the MOD bivvy bag is the perfect all rounder ........
I've got the Hunka, works well but a bit small and wish I got the XL now that my new airbed is bigger. Are you able to advise on the capacity of the MOD bag to the Hunka XL? Good if I could compare this

MOD

Size approx length 94 inches
Shoulder with gusset folded 30 inch gusset open 45 inch
Foot width 23 inch approx

Hunka XL

Length: 84 inches ( approx.)
Width: Shoulders - 31 inches;
Foot - 19 inches
Many Thanks for the info Rob. I think I'm sold on the MOD one now!

Look out for its age ( some could be 20 year old ) and the quality of the seam taping inside .
Older ones will be green and DPM without gusset
Newer will have the gusset.

Look out for its age ( some could be 20 year old ) and the quality of the seam taping inside .
Older ones will be green and DPM without gusset
Newer will have the gusset.
I was just looking at this one. I went with the Alpkit originally as I'm generally happy with their stuff and 3 year returns policy, but in this case why pay more..

That's the kind of thing , loads on fleabay or from the online army surplus shops , prices vary a lot so have a look around .....
Just remember the MOD one is not the lightest but will be the best all rounder or the one you'll want to wake up in if its been raining overnight .....

That's the kind of thing , loads on fleabay or from the online army surplus shops , prices vary a lot so have a look around .....
Just remember the MOD one is not the lightest but will be the best all rounder or the one you'll want to wake up in if its been raining overnight .....
The raining all night bit works for me as it invariably rains all night in these parts when you need to bivvy!

My MOD issue one has been used on three continents in temperature ranges from -30 to +55 (pretty much slept on top of it until it rained and then climbed inside); I’ve managed to use it in hammocks, cot beds, armoured vehicles and most commonly Mother Earth and it is all round a good bit of kit; not the lightest, not the best specced but it generally works, especially given I got it for a bargain price...

Previously I had a horizontal zipped Bivvi bag and whilst you could lock yourself away I’m a bit claustrophobic and I got stuck in it once which wasn’t the best way to wake up!

If I were to buy a new one I’d be looking at the hunka, possibly the standard one as I’m only 5’7” so don’t need acres of space.

Does anybody know the US army bag?

I don't really understand how that works.

How do they avoid to breath in it ????

If you make it for friday you can give mine a shot mate. I can explain the stains...... honest. :eek:
The bag I've got is good but my new jumbo airbed with built in pillow kind of takes up all the hood so I'd struggle to keep dry. I'll maybe see how my bag fits in yours but Mrs Smurf is reluctant to let me escape on Friday as she wants me to "spend time with her" or some words to that effect... :( Still working on it though!

Reactions: Bam
So far I understood it right, it is possible to breath really TROUGH THE FABRIC of the new models of Carinthia bivvy bags.

Did somebody try this out?

Or are they all dead who tried it?

So far I understood it right, it is possible to breath really TROUGH THE FABRIC of the new models of Carinthia bivvy bags.

Did somebody try this out?

Or are they all dead who tried it?
I've certainly not heard of a bag that can be breathed through and I agree with you on the possible outcome! I'll need to have a look.

The bag I've got is good but my new jumbo airbed with built in pillow kind of takes up all the hood so I'd struggle to keep dry. I'll maybe see how my bag fits in yours but Mrs Smurf is reluctant to let me escape on Friday as she wants me to "spend time with her" or some words to that effect... :( Still working on it though!

I'll be taking Bam (4 legged) and going anyway mate so let me know if you can make it. You might have be 'generous' in the bedroom mate but its for a good cause.... Devilla here we come. :lol:

Pretty impressive bag with a price to match! I came across this idea also with the outdoor research Helium, but I'd be scared of getting my down bag wet breathing in it. It's usually not that cold in Scotland and I just sleep with a balaclava on in frosty weather which keeps me warm enough and avoids causing condensation in my bag.

Back