• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Blast from the past..

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Before heading North last week I made a raid on my rickerty old bookcase in search of something to see me through the torment of enforced Television exposure. Not having owned a Television since December 1995 I knew that viewing tastes had changed, but I'm astonished at the utter dross which must obviously attract audiences today. I imagine if it didn't, then the various Channels would not show it...would they ?

However, I can say that people totally lost in their own confusing world seem to enjoy the projected garbage, so all is well...:lol:
Look at what I found...From the days before Bush Craft when people just walked in the woods and countryside and camped out.
DSC00802.JPG

Kindly note the stout Brogues, tactical boots as worn by 'Operatives' were not required then...:rofl:
And if you were lucky you would see Rick Making and the odd Scare Crow..
DSC00803.JPG
DSC00804.JPG

Then look what happened years later. My growing kids decided to buy me a present because some lanky WO had just escaped from Hereford and decided to become an Author. Found my original Gem copy, a present from the kids.
DSC00800.JPG

DSC00801.JPG

Mind you, it did the trick..it helped me survive hours of technicolour twaddle...:thumbsup:......:rofl:

I do like to see reckless nutcases riding ridiculously powerful motorcycles around the likes of Oulton Park, Thruxton and the Isle of Man etc, and big grown men smashing into each other chasing a weirdly shaped ball around a field. Other than that, saxonaze is absolutely right, even being complimentary in describing it as ā€œutter drossā€ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.Tacky rubbish, garbage, pointless carp, ridiculous nonsense.

However, I do find You Tube a useful recourse, some of it anyway. šŸ‘šŸ˜€

Definitely...addicted to Itchy Boots, for a start..:D . Wish I could ride off road half as well as she does.
Whist off road riding is predominantly rider skill the bike makes a massive difference; her CRF probably weighs about a third to half as much as your Himalaya and develops itā€™s power and thus traction in very different ways. My enduro bike is ridiculously easy to ride off road but isn't super comfortable on it for long periods of time.

Yes 38, I've heard her mention that too about bike weight. You probably know, she rode a Himalayan from India to Holland and then again in South America. Back in the 1970's I had a Spanish Ossa 250cc Enduro, I only bought it on a whim, I liked the name it was called a Stiletto...:oopsy:
Off road I dropped it so many times my mate said I'd be safer off road in a Land Rover...:lol:
I fell off it down a steep slope in a Gravel Pit Circuit and frightened myself, so I sold it for a road bike.

My enduro bike is road legal and only weighs about 120kg and Iā€™ve picked it up off the ground on my own (through a mixture of adrenaline and anger).

Your bike is one of the few middleweights that can do both.

As the engine has run in, my Himalayan has improved significantly with mileage. More responsive ( still sounds like a bag of spanners being shaken)...:D
I ride Farm Tracks and Green Lanes occasionally but always within my limits of skill, but on the narrow, sometimes Farm Traffic muddy and leaf strewn roads around here, it is an ideal bike for me.

Iā€™m looking at swapping my lightweight enduro bike for a Honda dominator so effectively about the same capability as your Enfield, Iā€™m not racing anymore and want to travel more with some light trail riding rather than more extreme riding.

Dominator, is that a new version? I vaguely remember a 600cc and then they made the NX 650cc I think it was, a much better bike than the 600 apparently, well smoother anyway.

Back