• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Boat kayak survival grab bag pelican 1500 case

lee

Slightly Obsessed
Here is my kayak/boat grab/storage case that I'm sorting out and re stocking today it's mainly used just to keep normal and emergency kit dry and safe when I'm on the water or lazing about on the beach, I'm not going to list all the items I'm just explain a few that may not clear in the pics: mini mess tin is a mini salt water distiller kit, long range vhf radio aerials, marine army strobe light, small plastic see through tub is a full salt and fresh water fishing kit, CD in the lid (good cheap signal mirror) a first aid kit in the plastic bag, Vaseline (not just for medical use it can be used for fire starting and waterproofing and servicing kit) I tend to use the mini fishing rod more than standard ones when fishing off the kayak. A big kit but admittedly but I do use my kayak on the sea go out up to a mile and often camp on small bays only accessible by boat. ;)

I have a few things to add and a few to replace, new roll of tin foil, (the longest they sell) glow sticks, batteries, spare vhf radio battery, snacks small water bottle, saw and some small binoculars, survival mobile phone (uses AA batteries) AA solar charger. still plenty of room for more bits that I add to the case depending on the trip I'm going on, the Peli box 1500 floats and is water tight highly recommended ;)

Worth putting your details/contact info and 'reward if found' on and in the case/bag.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Going to add my SOG revolver to the case as I'm planning more sleep outs from the kayak and the case is all I will take along with a tent or tarp (SOG revolver: a knife with one blade, that revolves and locks into place in the handle, one end is a standard knife blade with gut hook and the other end is a saw blade, push the button and flip round the blade to swap) not a heavy duty knife but paired with the SAK and multi tool it's good enough for a night or two its stainless so ideal for wet and saltwater use.

image.jpeg

Thanks bill, can you think of anything I've missed lol

Only thing that comes to mind mate is Sun screen and lip balm........but then you probably have that stashed in your PFD anyway :thumbsup:

Yes I usually add that on the day mate as they don't last long and I don't leave them in as they can leak (the garnier sun tan oil spray is a liquid and flammable hence they don't last long lol) I use vasaline for lip balm but will add one bill ;) Vaseline is also good for maintaining the fishing reel and other kit, I've just chucked in a couple of short 12 inch bow saw blades and a survival wire saw. My case is done for this year but josh is 12 in a few weeks and getting his own kayak so I have donated my 1200 Pelli case :eek: so he can keep his phone and bits safe and dry and I've started to sort him some kit for it :D

image.jpeg

The Peli 1200 and 1500 cases (1200 on top)

image.jpeg

A retail boat grab bag. . . . Ummm think I will stick with my selection and case lol

image.jpeg

I used to spend hours at a time out on the kayaks Lee......fishing mostly.
If it was blowing hard....used to go up river after the schoolies and Flounder on light gear.
What Kayak do you use at the moment mate...is it a sit on top?

The SOG revolver is OK more of a gimmick really as all that holds this knife blade in place is a pin so no buttoning or hard work for it i would go with separate knife and saw but it's ok for light work, saw works ok.

Impressively well thought out kit!

I have a much more modest set up based around an Aldi Dry bag as a suitable container (although I'm quite jealous of the Peli Boxes!).
It is based on the very possible of scenario of a capsize while canoing on a Scottish Loch.
While it is true to say that you are never far from civilisation anywhere in the UK that will be little comfort when you are soaked to the skin, you might have lost your boat and theres a cold wind blowing!!

I will try and do a show and tell...

Your kit you've got could save your life if your remote on the lochs, you can build your grab in stages that's how I done mine all you need to start is a survival bag, knife and fire starter even a lighter! and there are good alternatives to the Peli cases, as long as it floats its all good ;)

Time to sort the little pelican case out for josh as his brought a little 3.3hp outboard and his bidding on a boat ;) will post up pics of the basic survival kit he will carry on board ;)

Don't forget to put your survival kits in your vehicles, pockets or bags chaps during the severe snow were experiencing!

IMG_5810.JPG

Nice kit Lee.

Pottering around the local roads here I do not carry anything, to be honest.

If I had to make a long journey and the forecast was bad.......warnings issued...... I would, without doubt, take along a kit too.

Trangia cook set/gas stove to make hot drinks.
Water.
Torch.
Blanket.
A few snacks.
Mobile.

Make sure I had plenty of fuel in the car to :thumbsup:

I really should do this also however I've not done so yet as I'm seldom so far from home that I couldn't walk back and if I am I take my small day pack.
But you're right, its in case of emergency which, by definition, is an unexpected event so I'll get on to this as I'm planning to go further afield this year.
I have a few peli cases around which will be handy too.

Do you include a small pot for purifying water by boiling or a filter?

The solar charger is a good idea as I expect that batteries left in the survival case in the car would die from the cold.

Back