• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Bonsai Trees

Way to go John.......very informative......they look really healthy :thumbsup:
I think I will trim as you explained......but maybe leave the stump that the shoot/branch is growing from πŸ€”
Then plant the cutting as you suggest....thank you :thumbsup:

@johnbaz

Hi John.

Just watering the treeand noticed there is a wire tied at the base of the trunk.....it is quite tight.
Do you reckon I would be O.K. to cut it and take it off?

Bill.

20220327_124104.jpg

@johnbaz

Hi John.

Just watering the treeand noticed there is a wire tied at the base of the trunk.....it is quite tight.
Do you reckon I would be O.K. to cut it and take it off?

Bill.

View attachment 113265

Hi Will

That's holding the tree in to the pot, It can be removed a few months after repotting as the roots will have gotten hold of the substrate, I somnetimes don't bother until I repot the trees, It won't hurt anything πŸ‘

Here's one I repotted last year, An Azalea, I normally use plastic coated steel wire as it's cheaper than the aluminium wire, Trouble is that i've ran out of it now!!
z0F7eGA.jpg

Here's a Ligustrum wired in with the same plastic coated stuff!
2oSsPnS.jpg

John πŸ™‚

Thanks John.....another very helpful reply thank you!πŸ‘
I will leave it well alone for now....just worried it may cut into the root base and trunk.
I would like to add a couple of outdoor trees.....what would you recommend to a novice keeper?
Hope you won't mind me asking....do you sell young plants at all ?.....I could be customer ......if you would rather....please PM me πŸ‘

Thanks John.....another very helpful reply thank you!πŸ‘
I will leave it well alone for now....just worried it may cut into the root base and trunk.
I would like to add a couple of outdoor trees.....what would you recommend to a novice keeper?
Hope you won't mind me asking....do you sell young plants at all ?.....I could be customer ......if you would rather....please PM me πŸ‘

If the wire looks like it's cutting in or causing swelling then clip it at either end on the top and pull it through from the bottom with pliars πŸ‘

Chinese Elm is actually an outdoor tree but can also be grown indoors!

Good outdoor trees are Acers, Hawthorn, Juniper and Azalea but my favourite is Cotoneaster as they already have small leaves!

I also have some Pines but they seem to need a lot of looking after, All of mine are leggy on the branches with needles at the very end as I neglected decandling!, I'm trying to keep on top of pinching the candles back now to get back budding to get shorter limbs πŸ‘

This is a Japanese Black Pine that spent many years in garden muck in a large plantpot!, I potted it in to better, More open compost in january this year and it's started pushing fresh candles out already!!

In this pic the needles need to be growing much closer to the trunk, It may take five or six years of de candling to get enough backbudding to bring it back under control..
ybjblmo.jpg

This is a pic from when it was in the muck in a plantpot, Had to put concrete in to stop the wind blowing it over!! :lol: The bark is really old looking and full of cracks and fissures!!
qur76Qd.jpg

Another fave of mine is Larch, It's a deciduous conifer meaning that in autumn it drops it's needles like a broadleaf deciduous tree and put new ones out in spring!, There's two types, Japanese (Larix kaempferi) and European Larch (Larix decidua), The Japanese Larch is generally more popular as the needles are shorter than the European Larix.

This is Japanese..
ABgTgBM.jpg

And this is the longer needled European Larch..
3bAXwPd.jpg

Sorry Will, I don't sell my trees, It would be like selling my kids!

Actually, I'd give me kids away!! 🀣

John

Excellent John.....thanks for the recommendations.....liking the European Larch.....cracking colour and shape.......I have got a few concrete blocks to weigh it down πŸ˜‰πŸ™ˆ

I've been in to li'l trees since 1999 when I had an accident at work and was off for a few months, Was bored and saw an ad in the Free ads when it was made of green paper, Went and bought a couple!!

It was a daft thing to do to cure boredom as nothing happens for weeks!! :rofl::rofl:

Anyhow, Here's a couple of mine..

Shimpaku Juniper..
IRLlS9x.jpg

Trident Maple that needs repotting in to something smaller, I've had it since 2013 and never repotted it! :oopsy:
qzK791C.jpg

This one is a Lonicera Nitida yamadori, I dug it from a school in Barnsley that was being demolished, My mate who lived nearby obtained permission to collect some, The excavators were on site,A driver lifted them for us and we gave him a couple of quid per plant to do so!!
dKbCsUX.jpg

Also brought a couple of Cotoneaster home too!
RNRDacl.jpg

This one was a twin trunk that had a lot of dead wood, I carved it but then removed too much from the right trunk and it died so I sawed it off then carved it more with a rotary tool, I actually prefer it as a single trunk tree!
B09a73l.jpg

This one is an Abies..
6cnxLIg.jpg

A young Cotoneaster full cascade (Kengai), It was in a smaller pot but either the birds or squirrels knocked it off on to a concrete slab, Didn't have a pot the right size so it'll have to grow in to this one!!
2Bu2zC3.jpg

A Buxus in a training pot, Otherwise known as a plastic bowl!
hEqBcSd.jpg

A small Chinese Elm from Morrisons for a fiver in 2019, Had to chop some thick branches that were too high (Thicker branches lower, Thinner branches higher), I removed it from the plastic planpot and in to this one which is too deep but will do fore two or three years!
tx8fHFb.jpg

An Acer palmatum, Unknown varity, It turns some fab colours in spring and fall!
4M8D9vj.jpg

This one is a Hawthorn, It was in terrible compost and was the wrong season to repot (Mid summer), I really thought it was going to die as foliage was dying back and a thick branch died!, I made the box, Lined it with sphagnum most then lifted the tree from it's pot and plopped it in then put more moss in, It was looking top hole two years later!!, It went back in it's pot with new compost then!
tsKBVKr.jpg

A few more Acers in autumn..
AF5N5An.jpg

Chamaecycyparis (Hinoki Cypress)..
eFNul9c.jpg

This is a Corkbark Elm that I bought in 2005..
1j5DVl7.jpg

This is the tree now, I didn't like it much as a broom style so altered it, The pic was from last year or the year before, It's put a little bit more growth on since, I noticed a bit of rusty steel wire sticking out of the bark (Left on in China and grown over), I pulled it and a big lump of the thick bark came away with it!!
dB1aUEO.jpg

Common Juniper, The type that has needle foliage that stabs every little cut on your hands when you're working on it!!
mv1tsQe.jpg

Azalea in flower..
8QPqYAy.jpg

If I could only have one hobby/interest it would be the trees, The guns, Knives, Guitars, Binoculars/telescopes, Watches and lathes would have to go!!

John :)

Some fantastic trees there , absolutely beautiful 😍

Think we have had a nedisaster with the tree.
Dropping leaves like a good'un some yellowing.....think it was on the brink of dying.
Moved it temporarily to a position with more natural light.......killing it with over watering we think.
Removed it from its pot and it was wet.....roots quite tight so holding onto the water.
Teased out the root ball and trimed the roots a little.
Reported with Bonsai compost and will not water as much in the future......hopefully it will survive my mistakes and flourish again.......give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes.
20220511_130545.jpg

@1 shot willie how’s the tree Mucker?

Tried to pinch one of my dads but the old bugger nabbed me πŸ˜‚ was looking at the bonsai tree starter kit (grow from seed ) for the boy for his room

Hi Mark.
Glad to report it is now doing very well again after I repotted it and trimmed its roots.
I was killing it with kindness by over watering........lesson learned hopefully.

Hope your boy enjoys his mate πŸ‘

Hi Mark.
Glad to report it is now doing very well again after I repotted it and trimmed its roots.
I was killing it with kindness by over watering........lesson learned hopefully.

Hope your boy enjoys his mate πŸ‘

Good to hear πŸ‘πŸ»
Should be good for him bill πŸ‘πŸ»

Yup av killed a few plants with kindness, well mor like neglect πŸ˜‚

There was a small Rowan tree growing in a crack in the top of a local wall and I watched it's progress for a few years. It looked dead then it would green up again and it never got much bigger. It would have been impossible to remove as it was in too solid then the wall was taken down and it disappeared. :( It was like losing a friend.

Back