• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Book is coming - need your feedback

Rathwulven BC

Extremely Talkative
Hi guys,

I may hereby announce that I am currently composing the final chapters of my first (e)book. As quite some folks in different forums and at conventions asked me on why I won't publish books, I decided to compose a handy little medicinal guide for bushcrafters and trekkers dealing with natural, medicinal resources, their identification and their scientificly proven value. Other than your average "Grandma Mimmy's herbal remedies"-type of book, I aim at incorporating both my botanical knowledge as well as facts based on academical studies into the book, trying to give accurate descriptions on resource identification, processing, use, side effects and toxicity warnings.

Therefore I am looking for some feedback from within the community, so if you can find a minute to answer the questions below I would gladly appreciate your input:

1. What information would you like to read in such a pharma-booklet? Which type of information would you consider most important?
2. Would you prefer a consise book including bullet points, or a heavy to read, in depth style of writing?
3. Do you have experience in the field of medicine and botanics/herbalistics?
4. If so, in which way would you like to improve your skills? If not, how could I help you start off in the most effective way so you can learn about medicinal plants in a proper, non-esoteric way?
5. What price would you consider reasonable for a book featuring about 150-200 pages (this will depend on the photographic material)? Please consider ebooks as well as hardcopies.

Answering these questions would tremendously help me to improve the final draft, so thanks in advance if you can find the time to give me your input!

It would be interesting to read some thing about first aid and the most common, normal illnesses everybody will get in his life time. Medicine against seldom illnesses that torture other people don't really interest me. That's cruel, but the thought.
(By the way: First aid without plants and without standard first aid kit is interesting too. So, what can I do in the woods, if I have nothing than drinking water and my own body, may be a standard trekking equipment.)

It would be good, to find the central information in the beginning of each chapter, how to use what an when.
In the following I want to understand why.
This book will not been bought by stupid idiots.
I have the DLRG golden badge. And a garden with food and kitchen herbs, a few medicine plants too, the European grandma's standard knowledge included.
What grows in our forests and is large I usually know, if it is small, i know the most common, you find every where and the herbs that could help me some how.

To say it short: Fire wood I know, food I know, herbs I know. But weeds I don't know, so far they do not regularly disturb my vegetable production.
Yes, following this, I tread medicinal plants as weeds, I know.
If you will help me to change this, I have nothing against.

It would be interesting and make it far easier for a lot of people to read next to latin and englisch the names in german and frech and a may be a Scandinavian language too, perhaps Swedish, because that's in the middle and may be the largest population there.

I would buy it only, if it is printed on paper. I would pay 25€ for it, 30€ would be ok for me too.

Hi guys,

I may hereby announce that I am currently composing the final chapters of my first (e)book. As quite some folks in different forums and at conventions asked me on why I won't publish books, I decided to compose a handy little medicinal guide for bushcrafters and trekkers dealing with natural, medicinal resources, their identification and their scientificly proven value. Other than your average "Grandma Mimmy's herbal remedies"-type of book, I aim at incorporating both my botanical knowledge as well as facts based on academical studies into the book, trying to give accurate descriptions on resource identification, processing, use, side effects and toxicity warnings.

Therefore I am looking for some feedback from within the community, so if you can find a minute to answer the questions below I would gladly appreciate your input:

1. What information would you like to read in such a pharma-booklet? Which type of information would you consider most important?
2. Would you prefer a consise book including bullet points, or a heavy to read, in depth style of writing?
4. If so, in which way would you like to improve your skills? If not, how could I help you start off in the most effective way so you can learn about medicinal plants in a proper, non-esoteric way?
5. What price would you consider reasonable for a book featuring about 150-200 pages (this will depend on the photographic material)? Please consider ebooks as well as hardcopies.

Answering these questions would tremendously help me to improve the final draft, so thanks in advance if you can find the time to give me your input!
This is very interesting, I'd go for a pocket sized book on medicinal plants.
A photo and a written description of the plant followed by where it can be found.
Follow this with bullet points explaining the various uses ad how the plant can be prepared bearing in mind that a person will be doing the preparation in the field/woods

Quote Erbswurst:To say it short: Fire wood I know, food I know, herbs I know. But weeds I don't know, so far they do not regularly disturb my vegetable production.

-A weed is only any plant growing where someone doesn't want it to do.............?:)

Yes, that's right!

So long they stay behind the fence, I have nothing against them.

But unfortunately they don't know this rule and do what they want to. So in my garden they are everywhere!

;0)

Just my tuppence worth on e-books in general.
I read novels constantly but I find reference e-books too hard to navigate unless they have a proper index function so think about the question route the reader would be likely to take.
e.g.
  1. What is this plant? (seasonal identification)
  2. Is it poisonous/toxic? - On the spot treatment options.
  3. If not, is it edible?
  4. If edible, what parts are edible?
  5. How do I prepare it for eating?
  6. Maybe further botanical information on the plant as an optional section.
I hope that helps?

Hi guys,

I feel you probably have it covered far beyond any need for my input, I can only wish you luck on such a massive undertaking. It's a big subject but if you can do it justice I would wish for a nice big, fat, glossy hard copy textbook version.

Natural antiseptics; We are continually told we’re developing anti biotic tolerant germs but not what the natural alternatives are, if they exist.

Im Not personally interested because I think the worlds about to end (or even change drastically) but others are. So everyone learns something.

Back