• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Keith

Very Addicted
We have had 5 days of overcast & rain in a row. The power is still holding but as my Wife had to take one of our Granddaughters shopping today I got her to pick up a new generator whilst she was in the city. This one has a Kabota petrol engine with a 6 hour running time & is 5.5 KVA. Our main use will be if we have longer periods of overcast & for using the large washing machine in the outside laundry. The new 5000 gallon water tank is 3/4 full now so we can start using the outside laundry. We are not however dependent on the generator. We can do the washing by hand like we used to, & we can stop using excess power in the house if the power drops. The generator is a luxury.
Keith.

Nothing wrong with a luxury Keith. 6 hours is not to shabby for a back up geny

I take it that's 6 hours to a tank full, Keith.
I remember my late ex brother in law with his portable generator doing some welding at the cottage we lived in on Dartmoor, that thing made enough noise to wake the dead!!! lol.

I use my diesel generator for laundry and large power tools had it 7 years it's only done around 200 hours.

A geny is a good investment. Never pondered over the idea before. Looking into it now tho lol. Got a Honda eu20i saved on eBay

its okay as a short term event thing, but for post shtf use its only useful as long as your stored fuel lasts, after that its so much scrap metal.

Just wondering about that comment lone and thinking to myself would it be possible to run it on alcohol post shtf (homemade)

Or wood gasification/veg oil all possibilities.

Very true. Forgot about that. Watched a program with a chap running his truck on wood. That may work on a geny.

Anyway it seems like a good investment for present day use

What’s the view on power usage. Would it be beneficial to me to run my power tools from the geny rather than the house? Probably simple to find out for myself right enough. Right I may be on a fact finding mission now:D

I doubt if it would be economic to use a geny if mains is available, another thing to think about is clean power for electronics an inverter job is best, also you can get lpg kits for petrols.

I doubt if it would be economic to use a geny if mains is available, another thing to think about is clean power for electronics an inverter job is best, also you can get lpg kits for petrols.

A little over my head of grid lol. I mean the ipg kits. The inverter is a good idea if am understanding the concept.

I take it that's 6 hours to a tank full, Keith.
I remember my late ex brother in law with his portable generator doing some welding at the cottage we lived in on Dartmoor, that thing made enough noise to wake the dead!!! lol.
I have not run this one yet, but it will be in the power shed so like the old one I doubt we will get much noise.
Keith.

I use my diesel generator for laundry and large power tools had it 7 years it's only done around 200 hours.
I would have preferred a diesel, but there were none available locally at a reasonable price. I can't see this one getting used much, on a sunny day our solar power can run the house & the outside laundry. This is just a back-up just in case.
Keith.

its okay as a short term event thing, but for post shtf use its only useful as long as your stored fuel lasts, after that its so much scrap metal.
Just wondering about that comment lone and thinking to myself would it be possible to run it on alcohol post shtf (homemade)
Not a geny but a would imagine same concept

The chap at the place where we purchased this from advised against using fuel with ethanol. He said it burns too hot & will burn our engine parts faster, plus it does NOT store well.
Keith.

Back