• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Bowie Skinning Knife

urbanghost

Very Talkative
Well I finished my latest project knife tonight so I thought I would post it for you all to see.
It is a Bowie skinning knife based on a design by master cutler Lloyd Harding. The blade is made from 440C stainless, hand shaped and matt polished. The guard is high carbon steel that has been traditionally heat blued. The handle is stag antler. Fits nice in the hand and cuts very well. Still a bit of polishing and cleaning up to do but I am happy with it.
This is the last stainless knife I am going to be making for a while as I am concentrating more on carbon steels for future knives.

knife.jpg

That is a beautiful knife mate
Thank you

Congratulations on a very nice bit of craftsmanship mate.......lovely work.
Nice shape to it:thumbsup:
Thank you

I make all my knives by hand the old way, no electric tools, just files, hammers and a lot of time. This knife took altogether about 40 hours spread over 2 months, the polishing takes ages by hand. Been making knives now about 20 years as a hobby, sold a few but mainly they go in my collection.

The Bowie is nice mate with a nice profile. I really like the little one tho :thumbsup: I share your love of the craft mate :thumbsup:
Yeah I love making them and hate parting with them when they are finished, sadly the bowie is for someone but I would love to keep it as its the biggest bowie I have made so far. The shape of the smaller one is based on a knife I saw once in a welsh museum and was used for butchering livestock. I thought it was a nice shape and very similar to a lot of bushcraft knives you see and also a lot of military survival knives. Fits lovely in the hand and has a nice balance with the near parallel edges.

I really like the little one tho :thumbsup:

I made a knapped flint one a while a go with a similar shape blade, cuts better than some of my steel knives.
IMG_1925.JPG
Got the flint from my local garden centre, handle from a birch log I had fro my log burner and the binding is made from suede I made from rabbit skin. It is held together with animal glue.

Back