• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Bring on the Forklift....

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Just getting to the final stages of sorting my kit for a 7 day, 6 night wander in East Anglia. I know lighter kit is available and that I could spend more money to cut the weight, but I'm still reasonably fit for an old wrinkly and I'm only looking at 10-12 miles a day.
Bergan is Royal Marines Arctic issue from the 1970-80's. It's like my Siamese twin, we wont be parted...:lol:
P1040835.JPG

P1040836.JPG

The tent is a Wild Country Lycross 2 and the sleeping bag is a 3 season Down bag.
Here's the contents from the top left...
P1040838.JPG

Stainless 32 oz bottle, that's a spare ferro rod attached.
Zip top bag with spare batteries, head torch, roll of repair tape, small multi tool etc:
Orange carrier bag is spare clothes, T shirts x 2, etc:
Navy blue bag is wash/shaving kit. Don't normally carry that bulky, but I'm using Public Transport (long distance) to and from my drop off points, so I had better smell good after a week on the trail....:D
Sewing/repair kit and another 32oz s/s bottle.
Black bag No:1 is food. Dehydrated meals, trail snacks, instant porridge etc:
Black bag No: is brew/cooking kit. Stove, gas, spare meths stove. fuel mess tin, mug etc:
1st Aid kit, insect repellent candles in white box, foil survival blanket. Bars of chewy trail food and a clear graduated bottle.
Next row is a rain cape, Mora that will go on my belt, and...." Grandad if you don't take a 'phone and charger you 'aint going" ..."Yes Granddaughter"...so it's a battery bank... solar chargeable..wonder if it works?? :rofl: Spare paracord and a military issue inflatable sleeping mat.
Bottom row, grey bag, a down insulated jacket. green bag has a parachute silk wind shirt in it and then my shemagh, which is towel, pillow case, bandage, sling or a dozen other things if required..
Fire kit and compass/ map goes on my belt and around my neck.

Ok you lightweight fans...I hope you are sitting down??

P1040841.JPG

Outer ring 42 lbs...then add 6+ lbs for water..
Never mind, just think, the more I eat the lighter my bergan becomes...:rofl:

Just getting to the final stages of sorting my kit for a 7 day, 6 night wander in East Anglia. I know lighter kit is available and that I could spend more money to cut the weight, but I'm still reasonably fit for an old wrinkly and I'm only looking at 10-12 miles a day.
Bergan is Royal Marines Arctic issue from the 1970-80's. It's like my Siamese twin, we wont be parted...:lol:
View attachment 13755
View attachment 13756
The tent is a Wild Country Lycross 2 and the sleeping bag is a 3 season Down bag.
Here's the contents from the top left...
View attachment 13757
Stainless 32 oz bottle, that's a spare ferro rod attached.
Zip top bag with spare batteries, head torch, roll of repair tape, small multi tool etc:
Orange carrier bag is spare clothes, T shirts x 2, etc:
Navy blue bag is wash/shaving kit. Don't normally carry that bulky, but I'm using Public Transport (long distance) to and from my drop off points, so I had better smell good after a week on the trail....:D
Sewing/repair kit and another 32oz s/s bottle.
Black bag No:1 is food. Dehydrated meals, trail snacks, instant porridge etc:
Black bag No: is brew/cooking kit. Stove, gas, spare meths stove. fuel mess tin, mug etc:
1st Aid kit, insect repellent candles in white box, foil survival blanket. Bars of chewy trail food and a clear graduated bottle.
Next row is a rain cape, Mora that will go on my belt, and...." Grandad if you don't take a 'phone and charger you 'aint going" ..."Yes Granddaughter"...so it's a battery bank... solar chargeable..wonder if it works?? :rofl: Spare paracord and a military issue inflatable sleeping mat.
Bottom row, grey bag, a down insulated jacket. green bag has a parachute silk wind shirt in it and then my shemagh, which is towel, pillow case, bandage, sling or a dozen other things if required..
Fire kit and compass/ map goes on my belt and around my neck.

Ok you lightweight fans...I hope you are sitting down??

View attachment 13758

Outer ring 42 lbs...then add 6+ lbs for water..
Never mind, just think, the more I eat the lighter my bergan becomes...:rofl:
That's a nice setup mate

Thanks Joe. I'm caught in a cross fire really with the water. There are few places to get potable water ( just realised I didn't list my water filter in the green bag next to the clear bottle..:rolleyes: ) I do like my brews and the grub needs re-hydrating so I carry a fair load of water and at a Kilo a litre it's not light as you well know.

Ouch, that's a lump, if you're carrying a filter do you need to take that much with you ?

Thanks Joe. I'm caught in a cross fire really with the water. There are few places to get potable water ( just realised I didn't list my water filter in the green bag next to the clear bottle..:rolleyes: ) I do like my brews and the grub needs re-hydrating so I carry a fair load of water and at a Kilo a litre it's not light as you well know.
depending on where you intend to walk, you only need to take enough water for a brew, there's plenty of farms in East Anglia where you can top your bottles off

Bop, the route is across Breckland, fens and farmland with slow moving/still water in most places. I know a bit of spraying goes on so there will be chemical run off. The filter and boiling should cope but I prefer to not have to rely on finding decent water.
Yes Joe I could, but I didn't want to count on making too many detours, and I deliberately plan my treks to keep me away from people...(unsociable 'ol git..:rofl: )

Thanks Willie, Monday morning is the off. I'll be sure to bring some photos back..:thumbsup:

Cheers for posting that , I am in the throws of sorting a lightweight backpacking kit . Its hard to know what to include /exclude and also as an ex squaddie I'm used to having a full bergan ( although these days I'm not fit enough to carry one !)

I'll be posting my pack out soon ( once finalised ) and your post provides useful food for thought . There are just some things that cant be omitted .

You're welcome Rob. I haven't (can't be bothered :rolleyes: ) to weigh individual items. Mess kit is ally and I know Titanium is lighter and my issue air mat could be a posh featherweight job, but I've used this kit for eons and I trust it. There's nothing in there that I haven't needed before so I'll just have to grin and get on with it. As the man said.."If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined"..:rofl:

I used to know an American NCO who swore that he'd never heard that phrase....still, he was a bit of a humourless git.:rolleyes:

It's funny how those sayings stick in the mind....Once, when I was convinced that my lungs had burst and that I was about to die but still had part of a circuit to complete, a PTI said to me " Pain is merely unfitness leaving the body...you've got two minutes, get a move on"...

It's amusing now..wasn't then....:lol: :lol:

I always remember from Army PT ........

UP UP DOWN DOWN ............ WE LOVE P T ...........

Or

One more Hill lads ...........

I always remember from Army PT ........

UP UP DOWN DOWN ............ WE LOVE P T ...........

Or

One more Hill lads ...........
That's also where I heard it Rob "If it aint hurting then it aint doin you any good"

Back