• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

British army combat/survival knife

Gazo

Slightly Obsessed
Been looking for something to fit in between my mora and my British army machete and came across the British army combat/survival knife which I liked the look of straight away.
The original ones are a bit expensive but web-tec do a copy which I have read are good quality.

Some say they hate them while others say they love them but I do like a nice chunky heavy duty knife and this one seems to fit my bill just fine.
Any of you guys own one or used one and what did you think. I just love the shape of that blade.

british-army-combat-CBK_Knife.jpg

Attachments

• british-army-combat-CBK_Knife.jpg
    british-army-combat-CBK_Knife.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 154
had one for years but could never get a good edge on it :(
but that was in the days before i knew how to do the job properly lol

Hi Lloyd I heard this can be a problem as they have a very thick blade, but I can get a good edge on my axe and machete so sure I could manage to get an edge on one of them.

Hiya M8 had one of those for years good old relaible working tool bullet proof, next time ya down welcome ta borrow take away and have a play and draw ya own conculsions :)

Good tools once you have an edge on them. The one i had needed a bit of sanding on the handle as it was rough and not flush with the tang. Only took 10 minutes though.

As said above, good rough use tool that you wont lament damaging. :)

Gazo, if you do get one and it needs the edge sorting, then send it to me and i'll do it for the cost of the postage. :)

Gazo, if you do get one and it needs the edge sorting, then send it to me and i'll do it for the cost of the postage. :)

Very kind of you mate might take you up on that :)
Yeah have read about the ill fitting scales, have looked about and surprised no one has fitted there own scales to one.
Anyway I bought one tonight so looking forward to getting it now, I like knifes with that shape style of deep blade that curls up on the end.

Should have had it posted to me, save you money :)

Have a look at it, see if it needs fettling, and if so, drop me a PM and i'll give you my addy. :)

Cheers mate will do, with a bit of luck it will be here this week.

Well knife turned up this afternoon and must say what a solid bit of kit. it was pretty sharp but 5 mins on the steel and I can shave hairs off my arm with it.

Well pleased with it.

Pic of it next to my mora

20120517_1618520001.jpg

Attachments

• 20120517_1618520001.jpg
    20120517_1618520001.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 147
The scales were not that bad but just me being fussy I gave them a quick sand over just to make them super smooth and soften the square edges abit.
Just rewaxed the scales in a dark wax :)

Fits in well between the mora and machete.

I would love to make a leather sheath for it as the DMP sheath is crap really, where would I get the stuff and how hard is it to make one any help appreciated.

If you dont have any leather working tools then making one sheath can be quite expensive as you need a few key tools to do a decent job of it. If you plan to make more than one sheath then the tools arent as expensive in comparison to what your gonna do with em.

So if i was you Gazo, i'd get one commissioned if its gonna be a one off. It'll probably be cheaper than buying the stuff just to make one.

But on the other hand, if you improvise a few things then you could make a serviceable sheath easily enough.

So the essentials for sheath making

Leather - ideally 3mm natural veg tan leather. For a sheath for that beast you will need a piece about 18"x10"
Something to make holes with. Awl, pillar drill, hand drill etc (1.5mm drill bit for the drills)
2 saddlers needles
Waxed thread
pliers
Stanley knife
Glue. I use evo-stik impact adhesive

All this will get you a servicable sheath. Nothing fancy as it doesnt have the proper tools for a lot of leather techniques

But if you were to buy a proper set of tools (which cost about £10 each) then you would want to get

Edge beveller
Adjustable stitch groover,
Over stitch wheel
Skiver

These will allow you to make nice, clean, tidy looking sheaths. I'm not the best leatherworker in the world but i can make a tidy sheath, and tbh, i'm not a big fan of leatherwork. Not sure why, i think i enjoy it now, but when i first started out knifemaking i took to the making of knives really easily, but i had months of frustration with leather work. I can be a bit of a perfectionist so one hole drilled out of line and the sheath was going in the scrap bin as i felt i couldnt send it to someone.

Over time i bought more tools and it became easier to get it right.

They aint hard to make at all. You just need the right stuff to make them well. :)

Yeah been looking at the tools and think it would be a bit expensive to do just for the one sheath, I will have to look at getting one commissioned I think but don't really want to pay silly money as the knife only cost me £25 but I do like the knife and can see me using it a fair bit from now on.

If I was to have a go at making one where would be the best place to get the leather from ?

Seen a few cheap tools on ebay such as eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace I already have a hole punch stand and hand drills decent stanley and some craft knifes for cutting so would just be that stitch needle, thread and some poppers and should almost be there.

gazo why dont you make a sheath to house all 3 ,knife ,mora and your machete , you could even go one better and house your fire steal and sharp stones ,would be a nice set to keep as one and saves having them here and there when they could all be as one

gazo why dont you make a sheath to house all 3 ,knife ,mora and your machete , you could even go one better and house your fire steal and sharp stones ,would be a nice set to keep as one and saves having them here and there when they could all be as one

Would be nice but if I only wanted to take the one knife out it would be a pain. I don't always carry the machete unless going to a new place and may need to do some clearing.
Not only that to make a sheath like that I think would test the best leather maker.
I might look into making one as could also make one for my folding saw. Just need to find a place to buy the leather at a good price.

Back