• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

BRITISH ARMY MODULAR SLEEP SYSTEM

lol

Extremely Addicted
Multi layering now having superseded the big heavy traditional surplus bags, such as the BA Arctic 90 or the DA ECW 90 bags, much loved by everyone with a fork lift, myself included....although I don't have the fork lift.......
Anyway, back in the summer I bought a BA modular system inner bag or lightweight summer bag and was mightily pleased with it at £30 (see "summer synthetic bag"): now, BanzaiBro. found someone selling NEW heavier outer bags also for £30...the system is made up of summer inner "Tropen" bag, and outer "medium" weight bag, together giving protection to a claimed-32...but what protection? Well 5 season seems reasonable to assume?
Available in two sizes, the large being long enough for someone my height at 6 foot 4 inches.
Obviously these systems are made from a developed fibre, compared to the "Hollofil" of the big pre millenium bags, and as such are lighter and more compact for comparable warmth.
Having received it, I can say it is perfectly well made, and as has been said, this system is a copy of the Dutch Carinthia Defence modular system, but made by FECSA for the MOD. It is leagues lighter and packs much smaller than the Dutch ECW and arguably will be as warm or warmer? But being a 2 bag system, it is also incredibly versatile ( as would the American and Carinthia systems), and as such is a heck of a bargain at £60 all in. Quite amazing...........I have added a brand new specific liner to it all for a tenner (surplus and outdoors)

Last edited:
Multi layering now having superseded the big heavy traditional surplus bags, such as the BA Arctic 90 or the DA ECW 90 bags, much loved by everyone with a fork lift, myself included....although I don't have the fork lift.......
Anyway, back in the summer I bought a BA modular system inner bag or lightweight summer bag and was mightily pleased with it at £30 (see "summer synthetic bag"): now, BanzaiBro. found someone selling NEW heavier outer bags also for £30...the system is made up of summer inner "Tropen" bag, and outer "medium" weight bag, together giving protection to a claimed-32...but what protection? Well 5 season seems reasonable to assume?
Available in two sizes, the large being long enough for someone my height at 6 foot 4 inches.
Obviously these systems are made from a developed fibre, compared to the "Hollofil" of the big pre millenium bags, and as such are lighter and more compact for comparable warmth.
Having received it, I can say it is perfectly well made, and as has been said, this system is a copy of the Dutch Carinthia Defence modular system, but made by FECSA for the MOD. It is leagues lighter and packs much smaller than the Dutch ECW and arguably will be as warm or warmer? But being a 2 bag system, it is also incredibly versatile ( as would the American and Carinthia systems), and as such is a heck of a bargain at £60 all in. Quite amazing...........I have added a brand new specific liner to it all for a tenner (surplus and outdoors)

Forgot to add that the lightweight summer, "tropen", inner bag or whatever....has a quality midge screen built into it that unfolds from the top cover and zips to the top of the hood................

....and liner? I bought the associated liner too. It is a quality polycotton fitted liner, perhaps a little heavier/bulkier than needs be? It too has colour coded ties to tie into either sleeping bag, but as the liner is same colour green, I find this system a bit of a faff , especially in poor light, so do it BEFORE you pack,(unlike the poppers on the Dutch ECW 90 bag), nor do the ties come to the edge of the bag, making it a bit of a fiddle to get in, again unlike the Dutch tank......
The liner has a ventral zip that has therefore to be zipped up AFTER zipping up the bag, but from the inside of the liner if you want a complete zip up. Also the zip is not covered, so could itch/irritate if you didn't wear a t shirt or something?

It all sounds worse than it is.....it's just not quite as simple as it COULD be.....will be trying in anger possibly this coming w/e...... 🤔

Thanks for the info, I await further information eagerly as I was thinking of buying this set up for on site car camping as it has the hood, I used to have the Carinthia Defence 4 and loved it, not sure why I got rid of when ? Anywho looking forward to a report.

Thanks for the info, I await further information eagerly as I was thinking of buying this set up for on site car camping as it has the hood, I used to have the Carinthia Defence 4 and loved it, not sure why I got rid of when ? Anywho looking forward to a report.
All up for the money £60-70, I thinks it's a no brainer. At twice the price it would be a good versatile sleep system.
Irrespective of the liner, which is actually fine, but could easily be finer (!) or use a cheap sheet or whatever. :thumbsup:

I will be interested to hear how you go on Lol, I hope the weather is fit for it this weekend.

Reactions: lol

I'll bring mine this weekend …...

I have this set up ….

Liner - cant get along with find it restrictive inside the bag with it fitted and a faff if I'm honest ….
Lightweight bag is great for summer , mossi net is great
Intermediate bag is excellent , very comfortable and warm , hard wearing as you would expect , hood is a great idea , leaves you just a little blow hole when fully closed …..
Not had opportunity to use them all together , Might have a try out this weekend as Al and I have managed to get a pass out ……..

Cracking! What !where ! how!!!

I used the lightweight for a canoe wild camp in the summer, and was as you say, great. Packed uber small and light...yet warm! Will probably just try outer bag and liner this w/e...not cold enough down here for both.............?

The lightweight bag is great, used it last weekend and was toasty. Also use it in the hammock as a top quilt.
The Medium bag is also very good, never been cold in it and never had a UK situation where I would need both bags together.

I’ve just looked at both bags and the liner , they still come in as a pretty hefty unit 🤔😳
A little over HALF the weight of the Dutch ECW M90 bag, and a 1/4 more than a Snugpak Softie 15............. for 2 bags at a 1/2 the price of the latter........... 🤔 :whistle: indeed!
But heavier indeed than the Carinthia equivalent......which is again about twice the price?

Last edited:
A little over HALF the weight of the Dutch ECW M90 bag, and a 1/4 more than a Snugpak Softie 15............. for 2 bags at a 1/2 the price of the latter........... 🤔 :whistle: indeed!
But heavier indeed than the Carinthia equivalent......which is again about twice the price?
I’ll have a weigh in tomorrow and post a few pics 👍

I got ..........3kg BA Modular outer bag only and liner
......................2.8 Snugpak Softie 15 and liner
......................5.35 Dutch ECW 90 and liner
?????

I got ..........3kg BA Modular outer bag only and liner
......................2.8 Snugpak Softie 15 and liner
......................5.35 Dutch ECW 90 and liner
?????
Snugpak is overweight as it is an extra long one........... normally 2.2-2.4kg

Back