• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

British Army Surplus Stuff

The softy jacket is great; I’ve tried sleeping in the trousers but found the bulky zip at the ankles really uncomfortable.

Fair do's, I've not had an issue myself, whatever works, its a system I've used for a while, along with oversocks I like the options but we're all different and there ain't one right way to do it.

Ive only slept in the suit inside a summer bag in the Middle East and didn’t find it comfy. I’d been using my my issue bag previously but had packed it separate for the flight home. The jacket is roughly equivalent to wearing a medium weight down jacket

Softy jacket and trews are really good winter kit and I agree with 38, in terms of thermal performance they are on a par with a medium duvet jacket.

I think, that current high end synthetic fillings have the same weight and packing Volume like cheap 600 cuin down.

Only the expensive 800 cuin down which we find in fragile high end mountaineering down bags offers a bit less volume and weight for the same performance.

Does this Softie suits have the same Swiss filling like the Snugpack Special Forces Sleeping bags? They are made in Britain and have a NATO stock number, and Snugpack calls the filling "softie", so I guess it could be the same stuff.

Snug pack refer to their sleeping bags as softy bags, softy 1, 3, 9 and 12 depending on filling broadly equating 1, 2 and 3 season bags. When they started producing jackets they called them a softy jacket to suggest it was like wearing a sleeping bag. Loads of soldiers bought them (they replaced buffalo shirts as the cool warm top of choice) so the army bought and issued them.

Reactions: Bam
So that means, the filling is identic and parts of the Snugpack Products are issued British Army equipment?

How many degrees Celsius does this suit ad to your sleeping bag?

No idea, I've been out when its freezing and been warm enough. If I think its going to be a really cold night I'll take a bigger bag (either 3 or 4 season) and decide if I'll sleep in the suit as well.

Here's a picture of a lucky lady absolutely delighted with her 'present' of one a few years back.

20131024_185859.jpg

Until wich temperature you can sleep only in the suit, without sleeping bag?

These are a good stainless steel pan if you are doing some group cooking, the lid makes a good frying pan. They were designed to sit on the No2 cooker but are happy enough on a fire

Shop around for grade 1s and or a better price.

Ebay links become blind after a few days or weeks. It is better to surch for an offer from a professional dealer, because than the thread keeps its value for longer times.

Of course own photos are the best, because they will survive as long as the forum.

For those who don't like 'camo' gear, search for Navy or Army Goretex, their gear is plain blue. Some of the jackets come with a hood, some don't so shop around.

Reactions: Bam
Can anybody tell us the exact weight of the Goretex jackets and trousers?

I find that very important, because it is often carried in the rucksack.

Please tell us your size with it!

For those who don't like 'camo' gear, search for Navy or Army Goretex, their gear is plain blue. Some of the jackets come with a hood, some don't so shop around.

I've still got (and use) a couple of RN 'foulies', more for dog walking or the allotment. No reason I couldn't wear them up a hill although they're not great around the neck.

https://www.survivalaids.com/media/.../r/o/royal-navy-foul-weather-smock-1-1500.jpg

Got the breeks too and they're pretty decent, I wear them as often as my Berghaus ones.

And no Erbs, I've no idea how much they weigh and mine have about 3 X's in front of the L. :lol:

I've got a softy suit and find it pretty warm and comfortable although I have to wear it green side out as my daughter tells me the sand/pink side just looks daft and takes away what little street cred I have.
The softy was brought in a joblot of stuff off eBay and also with it came the foul weather suit in dpm which I find very useful for working in wet weather although it needs wearing with gaters because the trousers have a tendency to slip down and I end up standing on them.
Other than that I have a Northern Ireland patrol pack which I find more than big enough for the odd occasions I now go hiking , comfortable enough and as waterproof as it needs to be. It's perhaps a pity they don't come just in olive or black as far as I know. The S10 haversack is an ideal size for three bottles of beer. Mess tins I tend to prefer the continental style as it seems a bit more versatile. Staying abroad so to speak I collect East German stuff and do like the NVA jackets in strichtarn . Firstly I like the pattern and it looks less overly military than dpm , I think a lot of people don't even realise it's meant to be camo.

I've got a softy suit and find it pretty warm and comfortable although I have to wear it green side out as my daughter tells me the sand/pink side just looks daft and takes away what little street cred I have.
The softy was brought in a joblot of stuff off eBay and also with it came the foul weather suit in dpm which I find very useful for working in wet weather although it needs wearing with gaters because the trousers have a tendency to slip down and I end up standing on them.
Other than that I have a Northern Ireland patrol pack which I find more than big enough for the odd occasions I now go hiking , comfortable enough and as waterproof as it needs to be. It's perhaps a pity they don't come just in olive or black as far as I know. The S10 haversack is an ideal size for three bottles of beer. Mess tins I tend to prefer the continental style as it seems a bit more versatile. Staying abroad so to speak I collect East German stuff and do like the NVA jackets in strichtarn . Firstly I like the pattern and it looks less overly military than dpm , I think a lot of people don't even realise it's meant to be camo.

The Navy have a similar black version, don't know if other branches of the Forces do it. There's no waist strap but its actually a comfy bag.

https://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/e/7/702297_ts.jpg

Have a nose on some of the surplus stores.

I would be very interested in the weight of that small rucksack.

It seems to be an option for children as well as for ultra light stealth camping tours.

Sportsmans Guide has some great prices, shame they are not operating in the UK. I do have friends in the USA who could post but then you have import duty to pay this end :(

I don't think customs would believe a thumping great woodburner is a 'Birthday present value $15'

Back