• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

BSA Ultra CLX

It's had a bit of bad press from the neanderthal shooters but I agree it is very good. Shame I can't afford one!

Unfortunately Dick there are shooters out there that just cant help slating a new product and try to find fault :)
It will be interesting to see how.....if......their negative opinions and thoughts change over the next few months after the rifle has had a fair trial in the hands of a few competent shooters and hopefully attracts more fair and unbiased reviews from actual use and shooting in the field.......on the range.

Time will tell :)

It's just nice to see British products flying the flag. The only thing that I'm not keen on is the position of the pressure gauge, I'd much rather see it recessed into the stock than have to look at it down the barrel but that seems to be a thing with quite a few of the PCP air guns these days. I suppose it makes stripping and maintenance easier.

Last edited:
BSA said that they asked customers what they wanted and went with the main concensus. Hence the bolt action where some like the side lever. Probably why they kept the gauge position as well. Personally I prefer the bolt action. The side lever seems to be an FT preference and you're probably right about the ease of access/maintenance on the gauge.

As to the bolt action/lever action debate...I have no preference but I do find that using a bolt action comes more naturally to me.

Of the same opinion as you Mike.......Bolt or side lever......leaning slightly more to the side lever though if I'm honest :)
I would love to get my hands on one of these CLX's for a trial run though......lead the barrel in....... and then have some fun.
It states it is a self regulating rifle......"John Bowkett"put a reg in my Scultra that has no working parts......wonder if the CLX has similar? 🤔
If what they are saying is right.......... a 9fps spread............. over the shot count is pretty damn good.

Last edited by a moderator:
At £49 per spare magazine most people are unlikely to ever own more than a couple of mags...hopefully that may come down in time...they do look to be extremely well engineered though so perhaps they're worth it. 🤔

I think that is were BSA miss a trick, alot of the European and Chinese pcps come with 2 mags and a single shot adapter/tray. Giving you the choice of single or multi shot. Plus some shooting clubs don't like the use of magazines for safety reasons.

The new magazine is supposed to be a definite improvement. I have several earlier mags and a couple of the more recent ones which I think are ok. Never had a jam or an issue with them. I use a single shot adaptor for HFT competition.

Back