• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Bucksaw Build

Albion

Quite Talkative
Greetings. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone. Thought I ought to check back into this site (things have certainly changed). I signed up just over a year ago, but have not been active. Let's just say, this past year has been a rough one for me and I have just not had the motivation to do all the things I usually enjoyed doing. But that's all behind me now, and I'm starting to get back into the swing of things, so I thought I'd share my latest woodworking project, a take-down bucksaw.

I constructed it out of a piece of Ash branch that was felled last year in our garden, split into staves and then hewn to shape with the aid of my small forest axe and hatchet. Besides chiselling and sawing out the mortice and tennon joints, and some tidying up with a knife, probably 80% of the woodworking was done by axe, which has become one of my favourite woodworking tools by far.

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: shoes and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, plant and outdoor

Image may contain: food

Cutting out the mortice and tennons. I deliberately made this joint quite loose to allow for some movement when tensioning.

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: people sitting, outdoor, indoor and water

Starting to take shape.

Image may contain: people sitting and shoes

And she's all done. I didn't sand or anything, just rounded off the edges and smoothed any rough bits with a knife, then finished with a few coats of raw linseed oil.

Image may contain: shoes, outdoor and food

I cut another small mortice in the cross piece where the tensioning stick can sit neatly in place. I have yet to see anyone else do this, but I can tell you it works fine.

Well I hope you like it. This was a fun project and I can tell it's going to be a really useful addition out on the trails.

Greetings. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone. Thought I ought to check back into this site (things have certainly changed). I signed up just over a year ago, but have not been active. Let's just say, this past year has been a rough one for me and I have just not had the motivation to do all the things I usually enjoyed doing. But that's all behind me now, and I'm starting to get back into the swing of things, so I thought I'd share my latest woodworking project, a take-down bucksaw.

I constructed it out of a piece of Ash branch that was felled last year in our garden, split into staves and then hewn to shape with the aid of my small forest axe and hatchet. Besides chiselling and sawing out the mortice and tennon joints, and some tidying up with a knife, probably 80% of the woodworking was done by axe, which has become one of my favourite woodworking tools by far.

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: shoes and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, plant and outdoor

Cutting out the mortice and tennons. I deliberately made this joint quite loose to allow for some movement when tensioning.

Image may contain: people sitting, outdoor, indoor and water

Starting to take shape.

Image may contain: people sitting and shoes

And she's all done. I didn't sand or anything, just rounded off the edges and smoothed any rough bits with a knife, then finished with a few coats of raw linseed oil.

Image may contain: shoes, outdoor and food

I cut another small mortice in the cross piece where the tensioning stick can sit neatly in place. I have yet to see anyone else do this, but I can tell you it works fine.

Well I hope you like it. This was a fun project and I can tell it's going to be a really useful addition out on the trails.
Very nice work and welcome back to the family

Merry Christmas Albion, your saw is an absolute work of art. Thank you for sharing this with us, it's great to see such care and attention to detail.

Merry Christmas to you to :xmas-biggrin:

Cracking.....and as above great detail ..really like the rounded shape to the joints👍

Thank you all for the positive feedback. 👍

Fantastic job mate , looks brilliantly artisan , I’ve long wanted to make one of these but not had the confidence. Great work and welcome back to the fireside ......

Do give it a go some time. Even if it doesn't work out on the first try it doesn't matter, it's all good practice and you will learn a lot.

Hi Albion.

What a lovely piece of work mate......great job!!

What is also nice is hearing you are back on form and doing what you enjoy again :)

Top job......thanks for sharing.

Definitely on my to do list for 2019, just need to find a good size blade then I’m off! What size/make would you recommend?

Definitely on my to do list for 2019, just need to find a good size blade then I’m off! What size/make would you recommend?

The blade I used is 24 inches, made by Bahco (think they do blades up to 30 inches, but 24 seems a good general purpose size). Cost around £8 in my local hardware store, but I've seen them online for as low as £4. Bahco do two types of blades, one with a more aggressive cut for fresh greenwood, and one for dry/seasoned hardwood, I bought both so I can swap them out depending on the situation.

Back