• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Budget entry level CB.

MikeR

Slightly Addicted
Now I don't want to go into the whole HAM thing, but I would like to just have a dabble and see if it's something I could get into, so what I am looking for is a budget friendly, entry level, idiot proof set up that I can just have a play with. Then If I find I like it, I can move on to something a bit more in depth and expensive.
So my quiestion is can anyone recommend kit that I can use for the above.

Now I don't want to go into the whole HAM thing, but I would like to just have a dabble and see if it's something I could get into, so what I am looking for is a budget friendly, entry level, idiot proof set up that I can just have a play with. Then If I find I like it, I can move on to something a bit more in depth and expensive.
So my quiestion is can anyone recommend kit that I can use for the above.
http://www.kcb.co.uk/shop2/contents/en-uk/d101.html

I have to admit it's never really interested me, but now I have more time on my hands, maybe I could give it a try.

Well said Matt, CB is a bit of a joke and the basic ham license is very easy to pass...more a quiz than an exam.

Why is CB a bit of a joke?

Anyhoo, I'm going to see if there's any CB clubs and go from there, like I said, I don't want to get involved with the whole HAM thing.

A while back there was supposed to be a national CB event, it was mentioned on survivaluk. I drove all the way from London to Mid Wales without hearing a peep out of anyone. CB is pretty much dead due to competition from social media. It's like the Betamax fad version of communication systems.

Oh well, guess I'll just keep listening to the shortwave radio then. You get some doozy weird stuff on there.:rofl:

A while back there was supposed to be a national CB event, it was mentioned on survivaluk. I drove all the way from London to Mid Wales without hearing a peep out of anyone. CB is pretty much dead due to competition from social media. It's like the Betamax fad version of communication systems.

BUT when all the teck is down CB is a way of contact ;)

that's what I thought,scanners and cb,s would be ideal ways of keeping up with the latest news.when theres no tv or phone coverage,

Charlie Bravo at best is

Scheisse

Most of the morons using CB know nothing about antennas or how to tune them to optimise performance. I'm well into 'QRP' ham radio (5w or less) and using Morse I can often talk to the USA and large parts of Europe and on better days I can get through using a mic.

Charlie Bravo at best is

Scheisse

Most of the morons using CB know nothing about antennas or how to tune them to optimise performance. I'm well into 'QRP' ham radio (5w or less) and using Morse I can often talk to the USA and large parts of Europe and on better days I can get through using a mic.
Can you folks run independent of the power grid, and is there any "Normal" range of your equipment?

Been 40 years since I used CB, of course that was back in the good ol' days ;)

Back