• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

North West Bug-out Hq?

Skyy

Very Talkative
A number of us seem to be in striking distance of E. or N. Yorkshire. I originally joined this forum following a post about a meet in Yorkshire.
How would people feel if we were to pool resources and find a place we could rent (cheap), maybe a disused farm or cottage we could gradually rebuild and use as a central bug-out?
I'm sure between us we would have the skills to do this.
On the resources, I am NOT asking for cash, it's not a cash thing, more a 'what's available'. For example, look into the Scottish 'bothy' system. Any way, any thoughts would be good, but please don't flame me for dislikes!

Some ideas I've had are to disused RAF bases.. and using the existing buildings, Disused Civil defence bunkers, or even down to sheep/cattle byres.

Tell me what you think?

I don't live in the area so it won't be of use to me but can I just offer the following?

If you take a look around the forum you'll see it can sort of be divided between two main groups ( I think ) those that see the value in teamwork , pooling resources and working as a loosely based collective and building elements of trust based upon that.

The other sort of Prepper / survivalist tends to be more isolationist , more individual minded and doesn't see the benefit of working with groups - they will indeed see it as a weakness. They can also have quiet paranoid personalities ( with no good reason ) and be exceptionally untrusting. They will fear if they commit to a group effort of stockpiled shared provisions or resources that they could then be 'cheated' at some point.

Whilst I'm in favour of such a concept I think you'd be better 'selling' the idea of occasional group meet ups and skill sharing weekend camps - I used to attend a few and its a good way to meet people and network but a lot of prepper type rather than seemingly enjoying the very niche opportunity to interact with like minded people will be menattlly on guard and a little ' Op Sec' concerned ( mostly with no good reason ) .

All good comments, and thanks.

If you take a look around the forum you'll see it can sort of be divided between two main groups ( I think ) those that see the value in teamwork , pooling resources and working as a loosely based collective and building elements of trust based upon that.

Obviously there's no use the Individualists getting involved, we all have skills/knowledge that others lack, so this would be a good way of passing those on, and building for OUR future. One person just cannot rebuild a building from scratch. A group could (and does - see the Scottish Bothy ref's). Problem is that most locations are bought up, modernised, and the let out as 'holiday cottages' at exorbitant prices. I think we could do better! The YHA does this, but by throwing cash at it..

If we could get a meet-up of people interested, and pool thoughts and ideas first, then we'd have some idea of whether we could actually do this.

sounds a bit like some of the meet ups they have on the bushcraft forum, sort of a skills sharing/ideas gathering, obviously for us southerners we probably wont be able to attend because of the distances involved, but good luck with it anyway.
let us know how you get on.

We could always try for a Midlands meet? Where would be a reasonable distance. Likewise the HQ could be Midlands..

Last edited:
Sound like a good idea. Forum meetings. That’s what this forum needs imo. A break from the norm. Good idea mate:thumbsup:

trouble with a national forum is that we are spread out all over the country.

you aren't wrong there!:lol:
I think some people might be in for a few surprises.

We could sort out a place that suits everyone. It’s only once a year am sure it’s do’abl

True! Well let’s see the interest in this one then?

Put your names down if your game for a prep forum meet

Mark Wilson

I know this does not really concern me as I am 14000 miles away, but if I were there, I would like to perhaps have a meet, but just a camping meet. Renting uses up money for no purpose, as I see it if there are places that are empty, then they will probably still be available post shtf rent free.
Just my thoughts.
Keith.

And even if your renting it if surf were to happen someone with a bigger key such as a 12 bore might ignore the tenancy agreement

The point was that we get together and see if we could work out who does what, where, and when. Someone may know of a disused building we could fix up, BEFORE SHTF to use as a central bug-out point in the first week or so, before going on to our final destinations. Hence an initial get-together meet.

The point was that we get together and see if we could work out who does what, where, and when. Someone may know of a disused building we could fix up, BEFORE SHTF to use as a central bug-out point in the first week or so, before going on to our final destinations. Hence an initial get-together meet.
I think that is a good idea. At this stage you have no idea what the shtf scenario may be, you may find that you all need to stay together as a group. Now would be a good time to find out who is who & if they fit in.
Keith.

A number of us seem to be in striking distance of E. or N. Yorkshire. I originally joined this forum following a post about a meet in Yorkshire.
How would people feel if we were to pool resources and find a place we could rent (cheap), maybe a disused farm or cottage we could gradually rebuild and use as a central bug-out?
I'm sure between us we would have the skills to do this.
On the resources, I am NOT asking for cash, it's not a cash thing, more a 'what's available'. For example, look into the Scottish 'bothy' system. Any way, any thoughts would be good, but please don't flame me for dislikes!

Some ideas I've had are to disused RAF bases.. and using the existing buildings, Disused Civil defence bunkers, or even down to sheep/cattle byres.

Tell me what you think?
Skyy I’m based east York’s would be keen to sort something out and am already part of a sort of prepped group and have acces to a working farm which is in the event of a shtfs my family will be going pm me if you get the chance

It will depend where and when but I am interested. The criteria for a central bug out location shared by a group would be slightly more complicated then it would be for a small family unit. Perhaps a list of needs or requirements?

i'm south west based so Yorkshire or even the Midlands isn't really doable for me, I tend to stay within a 100 mile radius, but the idea itself is sound.

Back