• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Building a bushcraft corner with little one

Woodlander

Very Addicted
Cant get out at the moment so decided to sort out the rubbish corner, behind the garage so India and I can have a Bushcraft corner in the garden. (3.5m x 5m plot with 2 concrete shed bases covering two thirds of it)
We built a brick fire pit today. We split the bricks together, she helped me mix the mortar, insisted on handing me bricks while I laid them. Even ran in the house grabbed biscuits from the drawer and started shoving them in my mouth while I was trying to lay the bricks! Not bad for a 36 month old eh?
20190709_141335.jpg
20190709_163756.jpg
20190709_202544.jpg
20190709_202534.jpg
20190709_202611.jpg

She was fascinated by the ants
20190709_163647.jpg
20190709_163653.jpg

And thought it was hilarious that a honeybee was hitching a lift on Daddy's t shirt!
20190709_141258.jpg

Really good day spent with my beautiful daughter. Shes making me a very proud Dad!

Cant get out at the moment so decided to sort out the rubbish corner, behind the garage so India and I can have a Bushcraft corner in the garden. (3.5m x 5m plot with 2 concrete shed bases covering two thirds of it)
We built a brick fire pit today. We split the bricks together, she helped me mix the mortar, insisted on handing me bricks while I laid them. Even ran in the house grabbed biscuits from the drawer and started shoving them in my mouth while I was trying to lay the bricks! Not bad for a 36 month old eh?View attachment 18140View attachment 18137View attachment 18135View attachment 18136View attachment 18134

She was fascinated by the ants
View attachment 18139View attachment 18138
Great photos Jon and India looks like she's loving it. You'll be buying her a rucksack next
And thought it was hilarious that a honeybee was hitching a lift on Daddy's t shirt!View attachment 18141
Really good day spent with my beautiful daughter. Shes making me a very proud Dad!
Great photos Jon, you'll be buying her a rucksack next

Great photos Jon, you'll be buying her a rucksack next
Funny you should say that Joe, its what I have spent the past hour doing!
Cant make up my mind which one

Excuse the child like art :sad:........
But something like this........
20190710_101759.jpg

Want wild edibles and wildflowers underneath the trees. Thinking an ash, a fruit and a silver birch tree. Shelter and fire pit maybe a log seat or two? Suggestions welcome šŸ˜Š

I would forget about the ash though if I was you Jon, they're dieing off left right and centre... I've lost a load of young trees to ash die back. It's heart breaking to have watched them get up to about 30' over the last 10 years just to have to cut them down. Apple, cherry, mirabilum, plum, all good choices, the world is your oyster

Unfortunately I'd have to second Ystranc as regards to the ash. We've lost a lot around the farm over the last couple of years, most depressingly one by the yard that held a regular nest of barn owls a few weeks back. I'd also potentially caution you over silver birch trees, they're lovely tree's that grow relatively quickly but the seeds they shed can become somewhat tiresome. We have 8 in the garden and they make one hell of a mess at that time of year but if you can put up with the mess tapping the sap makes up for it :)

What a neat firepit. l'm all for getting the little ones outside although my great hulks have long forgotten the firelighting (l reckon if you teach them how to light fires, they're less likely to practise by themselves and burn the house down) and shelter building we did when they were young.

Back