• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Burns & Scalds

jaffcat

Slightly Addicted
“Burns & Scalds”

Q: What causes a burn
A: Burns are caused when the layers of the skin are damaged by heat or ultraviolet light, this damage causes pain and leaves the body open to infections. Generally Burns are caused by dry heat, scalds are caused by wet heat. Sunburn is caused by exposure to high levels of ultraviolet light from the sun or reflected by snow. You can also get burns from some chemicals and exposure to high levels of electrical current.

Q: When is a burn serious
A: You should seek medical help if the burn is on the face, mouth, hands, genitals or if the burn covers a larger area. Chemical burns and those causing swelling, fever, foul/discoloured discharge or are failing to heal within 7 to 10 days should also be looked at by a medical professional. Children and older people should also be treated with caution. If in doubt seek medical help early on.

Q: How should I treat a burn
A: Minor burns should be treated by removing the person from the cause of the burn, if it’s safe to do so. Run the affected area under cool water for 10 minutes, removing any watches, rings etc which may cause problems later if the tissues start to swell. Do not use ice, butter/grease. The wound should be covered with clingfilm, which is laid over the wound and not wrapped around it. Wrapping can cause damage if the area should start to swell up. Using clingfilm allows medical staff to look at the wound without pulling off a stuck dressing! Clingfilm also helps reduce pain as it is often the cool air moving over the damaged nerves that causes the pain. Aspirin, Paracetamol or Ibuprofen can also help if the patient is allowed to take them. Minor burns/sunburns can also be covered with aloe vera, calamine or special burns gel if you have it.

A patient suffering extensive burns should seek medical help as soon as possible. If possible remove the cause of the burn. Cooling as above. Dry chemicals should be brushed off if possible, remember to wear gloves! Wet chemicals should be flushed off the skin for at least 20 minutes. Do not tug at clothing stuck to the burn, and remember to monitor the patient’s airway in case they are suffering an inhalation injury. Blisters should be left intact.

Sunburn with blistering or with nausea, vomiting, weakness or chills should be reviewed by medical staff.

Remember that the person might need a Tetanus jab too!

Q: What else can I do to help
A: Prevention is always better than cure. Make sure smoke detectors are fitted and working! Monitor children closely, and try to teach them the risks. Chemicals, matches/lighters, hot fluids/surfaces etc should be kept out of reach of children at ALL times. Remember too that some family members might be suffering dementia and might forget the risks and dangers around them

Burns and scalds - Treatment - NHS Choices

Last edited:
Re: “Burns & Scalds”

Any mention on areasol burns? I've had one for four months now, just starting to go away. :(

Its like deoderant or an areosol after prolonged conact with the skin it burns it...

I think it freezes it mate!........I have had one before and I think that the skin gets frozen from the gases,

Read that.Nuff said:)

CausesThere are various causes of burns induced by Aerosol products, the most common of which derives from patients spaying deodorants for prolonged periods of time in close proximity to their skin. This practice is more common in younger persons / teenagers and can be referred to as "frosting" or having a "frosty". Injuries such as this are often self-inflicted injury or self-harm therefore depression should be considered as an underlying cause.[SUP][6][/SUP] The following are the mainly identified causes aerosol burns

More of a 'frosty' style haha... Though i think it did react with my eczema :/

Lets just say i was out with mates and it was a 'boys will be boys' moment haha
Aerosol burn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Mines nowhereear as serious as the ones on here :)

did the same with an inhaler when i was at school. scarred my arm for a couple of years. i just treated as per any other flesh wound.. keep it clean and regularly change the dressings, watch for infection ect. as you say, boys will be boys

Back