• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Bush craft versus Field craft

Joecole

Very Obsessed
So what is the difference

Well in reality there is none

I was playing in the woods as a 9 year old sleeping out finding food and sometimes water and happy in our abilities to do the right things with just the minimum of equipment (just as most country bred boys of our age) that pretty much was bush craft of the day in our eyes
These days we have every conceivable modern aid but to be honest (my opinion) we and these days I'm probably as guilty as most we carry far more kit than we'll ever need. Yes I use a fero rod but what's wrong with a lighter. Tarps? I used to use an old bit of canvas torn off a tent.Now I used a lightweight DD tarp which is fine. But for me bush craft is going back to basics

Field craft...Using the terrain to conceal yourself from the enemy. Well our policy in bush craft is to leave no sign or very little of our passing so we used knowledge of bush craft to achieve that aim. I don't decry anybody from wanting the best kit money cay buy but do you really need it???

A think it boils down to self preference joe. Personally I will one day be able to go up to the forest with the clothes on my back and a few bits to eat and spend a few Knight there. Making everything else with my axe and knife. That’s my goal with Bushcraft. Skills and knowledge are more important that equipment imo.....but good skills complemented with good gear is a good choice :thumbsup:

Also the area which one camps will dictate equipment.

A think it boils down to self preference joe. Personally I will one day be able to go up to the forest with the clothes on my back and a few bits to eat and spend a few Knight there. Making everything else with my axe and knife. That’s my goal with Bushcraft. Skills and knowledge are more important that equipment imo.....but good skills complemented with good gear is a good choice :thumbsup:

Also the area which one camps will dictate equipment.
I agree up to a point Mark, no matter what the area good knowledge will always serve you better than good kit, you might or can have the best kit in the world but without the knowledge its useless

I agree up to a point Mark, no matter what the area good knowledge will always serve you better than good kit, you might or can have the best kit in the world but without the knowledge its useless

Agreed joe

A think with most including myself learn...with more skills we need less kit.

All depends on personal choice when it comes to equipment. My choice is skills over equipment.

Just my two penneth :)

I think anyone who ventures into the outdoors should first have a good understanding and knowledge of the conditions/temperatures and the terrain they are about to venture into ( Especially a novice)
You can make your time outdoors as easy or as challenging as you want to..... incorporating modern or very basic equipment to the levels of comfort that best suit you and that you are able to cope with.....skill sets vary.

Introduce yourself to the outdoors slowly don't jump into a 3-night stay with a bin bag for shelter and a box of matches.

Never a good idea for anyone overestimate their skills or their ability to overcome unexpected events.
There is no doubt in my mind that the equipment available today has come on in leaps and bounds..........more advanced and lighter materials, and manufacturing processes also.

Of course, budgets will vary!

It is easy to mix and confuse Bushcraft and Wildcamping with out and out Survival.

With the best knowledge in the world, even the most experienced will get caught out through being ill equipt.

A Survival situation the other hand....you do the best you can with what you have to hand as there will probably be no other option.

Access....adjust.......and amend always.................... as one basic kit set up may not suit all that you want to do :thumbsup:

For a one night stay in the woods near to home or the car, you can get away with minimum and basic kit (Maybe)

Camping on Moorland and other exposed areas may need a different approach and different kit.......... all depends on your circumstances and the conditions.....season and weather.

As for fieldcraft and leaving no trace......a good place to start is keeping fires contained and off the ground and take your poop home in a bag:D:whistle:

Last edited:
Just my two penneth :)

I think anyone who ventures into the outdoors should first have a good understanding and knowledge of the conditions/temperatures and the terrain they are about to venture into ( Especially a novice)
You can make your time outdoors as easy or as challenging as you want to..... incorporating modern or very basic equipment to the levels of comfort that best suit you and that you are able to cope with.....skill sets vary.

Introduce yourself to the outdoors slowly don't jump into a 3-night stay with a bin bag for shelter and a box of matches.

Never a good idea for anyone overestimate their skills or their ability to overcome unexpected events.
There is no doubt in my mind that the equipment available today has come on in leaps and bounds..........more advanced and lighter materials, and manufacturing processes also.

Of course, budgets will vary!

It is easy to mix and confuse Bushcraft and Wildcamping with out and out Survival.

With the best knowledge in the world, even the most experienced will get caught out through being ill equipt.

A Survival situation the other hand....you do the best you can with what you have to hand as there will probably be no other option.

Access....adjust.......and amend always.................... as one basic kit set up may not suit all that you want to do :thumbsup:

For a one night stay in the woods near to home or the car, you can get away with minimum and basic kit (Maybe)

Camping on Moorland and other exposed areas may need a different approach and different kit.......... all depends on your circumstances and the conditions.....season and weather.

As for fieldcraft and leaving no trace......a good place to start is keeping fires contained and off the ground and take your poop home in a bag:D:whistle:
Agreed in full young:D man

I think, a beginner should go well equipped in the woods and should try there to use less and less of it.
within reason yes but as kids we learnt the hard way without any modern equipment

I once read there are two types of bushcrafters, those of the rattle when I walk philosophy and those of the know more carry less philosophy.
For me, I personally like to think of myself as know more carry less. I know that with a piece of rope and a knife I can set up a comfortable camp and combined with found or made items could live there if I wanted to. With that being said though, there is so much cool kit out there with so many uses, how can you really resist 😁
I also fondly remember us as kids heading out on a Saturday morning with a box of matches a knive and a pellet gun only to come back home after dark. We climbed a cliff face where we set up a bbq of what ever fell to the pellet guns for lunch and spent the day hunting and tracking. In essence practicing bushcraft and survival skills but just doing what we enjoyed...

I once read there are two types of bushcrafters, those of the rattle when I walk philosophy and those of the know more carry less philosophy.
For me, I personally like to think of myself as know more carry less. I know that with a piece of rope and a knife I can set up a comfortable camp and combined with found or made items could live there if I wanted to. With that being said though, there is so much cool kit out there with so many uses, how can you really resist 😁
I also fondly remember us as kids heading out on a Saturday morning with a box of matches a knive and a pellet gun only to come back home after dark. We climbed a cliff face where we set up a bbq of what ever fell to the pellet guns for lunch and spent the day hunting and tracking. In essence practicing bushcraft and survival skills but just doing what we enjoyed...
Brings back fond memories Henre:thumbsup:

It does indeed, off topic but, I wish our kids could experience half the freedom we did when we were their age.
Back on topic, knowledge has never killed anyone so knowing your local haunt and what gear will best serve there can only be a good thing. Practice as many skills as you can and I can almost promise you that somewhere along the line, they will serve you well.

It does indeed, off topic but, I wish our kids could experience half the freedom we did when we were their age.
Back on topic, knowledge has never killed anyone so knowing your local haunt and what gear will best serve there can only be a good thing. Practice as many skills as you can and I can almost promise you that somewhere along the line, they will serve you well.
Very true, knowledge will always out weigh kit

In answer to the topic bushcraft V field craft lol field craft to me is an army term ? Shape, Shine, Shadow, silhouette,tone, sudden movement, texture, spacing, judging distances, never break the sky line, DASH, DOWN, CRAWL, OBSERVE, SIGHTS, FIRE. could go on and on lol Stay low move fast win the fire fight, in connection to bushcraft not a lot me thinks ?

In answer to the topic bushcraft V field craft lol field craft to me is an army term ? Shape, Shine, Shadow, silhouette,tone, sudden movement, texture, spacing, judging distances, never break the sky line, DASH, DOWN, CRAWL, OBSERVE, SIGHTS, FIRE. could go on and on lol Stay low move fast win the fire fight, in connection to bushcraft not a lot me thinks ?
I disagree and agree at the same time Bob, bushcraft is used in hunting to a great extent so never break the skyline, crawl, observe, sights and fire are related between bushcraft ad field craft which as you correctly say is a military term. When I taught field craft for 7 years it wasn't all about destroying the enemy but as much about living with the land, Dakota fire holes for cooking if you had no other means, water procurement all these are bushcraft things

Agreed BB the terminology and actions are different.
However I do see the concept being the same...as in using what’s about to better ones stay or trip/orders. It’s only my opinion lol as I know nothing of military action or training....

Agreed BB the terminology and actions are different.
However I do see the concept being the same...as in using what’s about to better ones stay or trip/orders. It’s only my opinion lol as I know nothing of military action or training....
That wouldn't be field craft in my opinion that would be survival ?

Back