• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Bushcraft bicycle trailer

Woodlander

Very Addicted
Hi all, little project I have been working on, a bicycle trailer for my extra kit when taking longer trips out. Made from an old pallet, two kids bike wheels some alu bar, some steel plate and an old track rod end for coupler, going to rig it with a dynamo for mobile and battery charging, will be adding brake light and indicators too in the near future.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

A lot of thought and effort has gone into that.....great job :thumbsup:
How far would you reckon to travel with it?

Not wanting to be the Prophet of doom :rolleyes:........but.........what would you do in a breakdown situation?

Nice one:thumbsup:

A lot of thought and effort has gone into that.....great job :thumbsup:
How far would you reckon to travel with it?

Not wanting to be the Prophet of doom :rolleyes:........but.........what would you do in a breakdown situation?

Nice one:thumbsup:

Tyres filled with that gooey anti puncture stuff, got two spare tubes and a small tool kit, so unless something major happens like a broken axle, I should be ok.
As for distance, with current fitness and sudden weight gain I would say about 10 miles.
But when I get back to as fit as I was, I would say 40 miles a day, easy.
It's surprising that it isn't heavy, don't notice it's there really, unless it's an incline of 20% or more. Then you KNOW it's there lol

Very wise mounting the flag in an attempt to stop people pulling out into the side of your trailer, could I also reccomend reflectors and LED running lights on the sides when you sort ot the wiring for the indicators....better safe then sorry with the number of impatient idiots on the roads these days

Very wise mounting the flag in an attempt to stop people pulling out into the side of your trailer, could I also reccomend reflectors and LED running lights on the sides when you sort ot the wiring for the indicators....better safe then sorry with the number of impatient idiots on the roads these days
Got light up valve caps and flashing reflectors on the wheels, not taking any chances lol

Very nice . A bike trailer is one of those things on my "to do" list although my other half seems to have a bigger "for me to do " list. I'm in two minds about whether to go for a similar layout or to try a single wheel trailer. From what I read there seems to be advantages and disadvantages to both designs although I'm leaning more towards the twin wheel.

I have thought about a trailer a few times although I was thinking about adapting one of the kiddie trailer covered things tbh :)

I have thought about a trailer a few times although I was thinking about adapting one of the kiddie trailer covered things tbh :)
That's a great idea, I'm just always skint lol. Had the stuff laying around so thought why not lmao. I'm always making something out of scrap stuff haha

Very nice . A bike trailer is one of those things on my "to do" list although my other half seems to have a bigger "for me to do " list. I'm in two minds about whether to go for a similar layout or to try a single wheel trailer. From what I read there seems to be advantages and disadvantages to both designs although I'm leaning more towards the twin wheel.

I was of the same thoughts, went for the twin wheel as it was free standing and could take more weight spread over both axles. Plus I wanted a box that could be locked and something too robust for anyone to run off with, not that it's very likely, but you never know!

That was one of my thoughts , the free standing bit. From what I read a single wheel is supposedly easier to tow over rough ground although I'm not fully convinced of that as to my mind the centre of gravity is going to be shifting from one side to another. Plus to be honest I can't see what stops it "falling over" when one stops the bike or for that matter when it's removed from the bike.
Forgot to say I do like the use of a ball joint . I'd been pondering the bike /trailer connection and that seems like a really simple and very effective idea which I'm more than likely going to pinch .

That was one of my thoughts , the free standing bit. From what I read a single wheel is supposedly easier to tow over rough ground although I'm not fully convinced of that as to my mind the centre of gravity is going to be shifting from one side to another. Plus to be honest I can't see what stops it "falling over" when one stops the bike or for that matter when it's removed from the bike.
Forgot to say I do like the use of a ball joint . I'd been pondering the bike /trailer connection and that seems like a really simple and very effective idea which I'm more than likely going to pinch .

You pinch away mate but I have upgraded how the ball attaches to the trailer. I found that by drilling a hole in the tow arm and glueing the rod of the ball hitch into it was very insecure. So I made a square C shape from 1" flat steel bar, and had a local mechanic weld the ball joint to that, then bolted that to the wooden tow bar, will take a photo in a bit for you, I have my little one clambering all over me at the moment, taken 20 mins to write this post lol

Made and fitted a dynamo this morning
image.jpeg
It's an 18v motor from a cordless car polisher, fitted and sealed with silicone in a niece of square plastic drainpipe.
Zener or Gate diode on the positive terminal, allows power to travel out, but not into the motor.
Without that diode if I attach a battery the motor would just spin.
Just need a 6v sla battery, rectifier, and a step down module with usb and its all ready to go!

Back