• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Bushcraft knife

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
It is my birthday on the 17th April and I am going to treat myself. I have learnt that quality is best so I have a £50 ish budget for a half decent knife, after looking around you could spend alot more than that but budget is budget. fixed blade with a sheath please, suggestions??

Mora Kansbol £57.00 Hiennie Haynes .
That’s for the multi mount it’s only £38 for the simple sheath version.

I bought last year the Hultafors OK4 and I have a good impression of it.

Not sure, but I think it's Asian production, what I discovered after I bought it.

I think it's the wrong way to set a limit and look around.
In my opinion one should ask about an article and look at the prices of things people recommend.

I recommend Opinel Carbone No7 and No8.
I recommend Victorinox Compact.
I recommend Mora classics with wood handle and the short blade, 10 cm or what they have.
I recommend Hultafors OK 4.
I recommend Helle knifes.
I recommend Fjellkniven F1.

And I will buy an EKA knife next time to try it out, because they look good, are recommended by professionals since decades and I never bought one. And they come from Sweden.

As you see, I recommend knifes which most times are ikonic patterns, and there is a reason for that.

And they all are very similar.

(Only the Victorinox Compact is an exception, because it's a trekking and traveling multi tool.)

All the other knives are more or less identic in the first view. With the prices is rising the quality.
They all work very well in most service.
The cheap ones are well working knives for every day. The Helle and EKA are made in Sweden and in a higher quality than the other single blade knifes.

And the Fjellkiven F1 is a real military survival knife, less good in the kitchen, very good for real bushcraft and survival.

But for normal use in areas, where you easily could order a pizza in your "survival camp" the Victorinox Compact, the Opinel Carbone No7 or No8 or the classic wood handled Mora knives are really good enough.

It's often the same with boots: People ask in forums "recommend me boots for 80€!"

The point is, that boots I recommend to beginners start at Decathlon with 100 €, there is a secret tip from the Austrian Army for 150€, and every other boots I can recommend, cost 250€ or more!

In my opinion the right question would be:
"How much do I have to spend for a knife for which use and why? And what do you recommend to me?"

In the end you can spend what you want to spend, a serviceable knife can be bought for anything from £5 upwards, its more about what you want than the budget.
Personally with a budget of £50 I would spend the money on a Swiss Army knife.

In the end you can spend what you want to spend, a serviceable knife can be bought for anything from £5 upwards, its more about what you want than the budget.
Personally with a budget of £50 I would spend the money on a Swiss Army knife.

I'm far from an expert on them so don't have any 'Gucci' knives to suggest, I've found pretty much most things can be done with a Mora although I understand the want to have a fancier knife, I'll probably do the same myself when funds become more available, we like nice things because we want them sometimes rather than need them.

I wouldn't pay 50 quid for a hoofing big SAK that would fill my pocket, I'm more of a Spartan kind of a cat but we're all different. Never leave home without my SAK though and its my most used knife.

My go to knifes are my A1 and mora.... big price difference...but the mora I bought for £11 is an absolute beast and easy to sharpen. Total work horse. The A1..well a really don’t want to get it dirty :whistle:

Once more to the Victorinox Compact:

It has attached what is needed for trekking and traveling, not more, not less.
It's simply perfect. And relatively light and thin!

For a weekend the cheap but very sharp Opinels are ok, because I don't have to cut my finger and food nails and can survive without the comfort a Victorinox Compact gives me.

The fix blade knives I take with me additional to the swiss knife in cold and very whet conditions.

The Opinel I have in the kitchen bag for car camping, my brother has it in the pocket for daily use, and the swiss in the Landrover, which is always with him. There in he has saw, axe and hatchet too, and so he doesn't need a full tang knife.
The Opinel No 7 he uses was constructed as a farmer's knife, like the Defender as a farmer's car.
My brother is a farmer and prefers them both. But he uses the Opinel for trekking too.

By the way:
Victorinox sells folding scissors for nail cutting too, just folding scissors.

They are expensive and I would be afraid to loose them. My Swiss knife is attached with a rope to my belt. That I can't loose!

Thread drift but cheaper to buy a pair of nail scissors from Boots (the chemists for erbs) than bother with folding Swiss Army knife scissors. I’ve also found actual nail scissors to be far easier to use for trimming nails, plasters, or anything else that needs trimming than the scissors on any SAK or multi tool and they add about 10g to your bag, assuming you haven’t got a pair in the first aid kit.

That I didn't understand.

Can you give me a link to show me a picture?

Back