• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Busy busy...

Unfortunately a lot of larch are suffering from a fungal disease that has spread rapidly northward throughout the UK, many plantations have had to be felled en mass. If they're left as standing dead then they really would be a fire hazard because larch burns hot and fast. Having died of a fungal infection the timber has little or no value as much of its strength has been lost so most of it is being chipped for feeding biomass boilers. šŸ˜•

fwiw Larch is a magnificent tree. lovely wood, makes excellent furniture and firewood, smells The Best, quite hardy, grows to a good height and offers a good bit of shade. although it looks like a conifer it looses its needles over the winter (see photos). one of my favourite native UK trees.

View attachment 33351

View attachment 33349
View attachment 33353
I agree a large stand of larch is a beautiful sight in Autumn with the sun just coming through a light mist

Unfortunately a lot of larch are suffering from a fungal disease that has spread rapidly northward throughout the UK ...
well that sucks. i usually only see isolated larch trees in my area, only one area (planted obviously) with a fair number spread over a small area.
i'll have to look into that disease problem, see if i can tell whether the local trees have it.

found some good information here: Ramorum disease (Phytophthora ramorum) - Forest Research
unfortunately i think i have seen some local larch with the issues described there. :(

Back