• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Callaloo and salt fish.

lee

Slightly Obsessed
Callaloo and salt fish.

A Jamaican dish that’s good for bushy meals as salt fish does not need to be kept chilled and it’s a break/alternative from meat. If you cannot get fresh or tinned callaloo spinach is basically the same, cabbage, nettles or other green leaf edibles will work fine in place of the callaloo.

Can be served with rice for a full meal or on its own for a hot snack.

Callaloo and salt fish for 1-2:

For this you will need large handful of salt fish, a tin of callaloo, 1 x onion, 1 x red pepper, half a tea spoon of both chopped garlic and ginger.
Soak your salt fish for a few hours, the longer the better changing the water 3 or so times. (shortest time ive soaked it before cooking was about an hour and it was fine)
Fry the salt fish with chopped onion, red pepper, some garlic and ginger in some oil or butter when the fish starts to flake add the callaloo/spinach (washed and drained of as much water as possible) then fry it all together for further 5 or so mins turning over often and your done.

Traditionally served with rice and peas or just plain rice is fine but I always have a splash of curry sauce on top!

nkn.JPG

Attachments

• nkn.JPG
    nkn.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 144
seems like you have a taste for the ethnic food m8 wanna swap some recipes at the meet?

seems like you have a taste for the ethnic food m8 wanna swap some recipes at the meet?

Will do. . . . I will be knocking up a few dishes at camp.

Oh did i mention curry goat ;)

i do like it when it is goat a lot of places use mutton, goat is actually more expensive!

i do like it when it is goat a lot of places use mutton, goat is actually more expensive!

muttons not exactly cheap these days as well m8 but i do love a mutton karahi

Back