• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Camouflage v Hi-Vis

Hi folks

Just chuckling at this thread but want to toss in some thoughts of my own.

At home I always wear what Paul calls ‘earth colours’, precisely because it does hide the sweat and dirt. I think most farmers and bushmen do for this reason.

I recently had a documentary film maker come onto my place to fly a drone, to shoot some aerial footage. First thing he did before unpacking his drone was put on a hi-vis vest. I thought that was odd and asked him why he did it. After all it was just him, me and The Boy.

He said he always wore hi-vis when flying a drone to make himself look more ‘official’. Of course he had permission to fly over my land, but said in some situations passers by would challenge a bloke flying a drone, especially in urban areas. He said by putting on hi-vis when he flew the drone nobody would ever disturb him, and assume he had the right to operate the drone. This made sense to me.

It made me think if anybody ever wanted to get airside on an airport to create mischief, the best thing to wear would be hi-vis. It creates an expectation about the person wearing it.

Cheers

Alan

Been a ploy of thieving scrotes for years.
When I was on the tools as a kid in Sheffield there was a couple of blokes going round in a yellow (council colour) van just collecting generators and big towed compressors and such.
Don't think they evet got found for that.

Hi viz is sometimes referred to as a zen disguise. When asked to describe a person most people will state the obvious, he was wearing a high vis vest

Wear what I want....people's opinions don't bother me...then again with a face like mine need camo😁
20201202_184742~2.jpg
20201125_152322_exported_68074_1612030222066.jpg

I've always had camo stuff as ex army clout and kit seems to be mostly bomb proof, for us civvies and our escapades. It's always been about build quality and longevity for me, if they sold it in bright pink, I'd wear that instead

This is a good post to share this story. My nephew had a friend who had a great job and could afford the buy the best of whatever he wanted. He bought a Banelli 12 gauge semi for turkey hunting, had it tricked out in real tree camo patern. While he was in his tree stand which was on the slope of a steep hill, the gun falls out of the tree and slides down the hill.
He never did find that gun.

This is a good post to share this story. My nephew had a friend who had a great job and could afford the buy the best of whatever he wanted. He bought a Banelli 12 gauge semi for turkey hunting, had it tricked out in real tree camo patern. While he was in his tree stand which was on the slope of a steep hill, the gun falls out of the tree and slides down the hill.
He never did find that gun.
I bet he was really upset.

Oh yeah... spent quite a few hours scouring that hillside

…or an ATF trained sniffier dog? Whatever method I’m betting he wishes it was hi-vis dayglow colours like some of them that I see doing practical shotgun.

Back