• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Camp food ....

Madriverrob

Extremely Addicted
Grandson is visiting today , he’s brought some ready to eat rations we’re gonna try ......

33CE0515-9A9D-4124-9021-68BDC8FE799C.jpeg

I can remember my daughter occasionally having those or something very similar when she was younger although we always tried to feed her fresh . Tried a few myself . The fruit ones are ok and i could happily eat them but the main meals were really bland to my taste .

As long as baby food is almost devoid of salt it can be as sweet, spicey or strong tasting as adult food. Being unable to add much salt is the problem with baby food for our adult palet. Unfortunately too much salt is toxic to very young children as they're unable to get rid of it and it eventually builds up to lethal levels.

I can remember my daughter occasionally having those or something very similar when she was younger although we always tried to feed her fresh . Tried a few myself . The fruit ones are ok and i could happily eat them but the main meals were really bland to my taste .

The savoury ones have very little salt and sugar in them , the fruit ones were quite refreshing , could be added to porridge maybe (?) . At 60 cals a pouch , you’d need to eat a few !

I have seen adventure racers and ultra lighters using them but I’ll stick with steak I think 🤔

I'm 99% certain that those fruit squidgies are exactly the same as those in the new military Rat Packs...They're listed as Fruit Puree or similar, but apart from the colour /design on the squeezy bag they're the same stuff. Lovely too...
character0099.gif

Attachments

• character0099.gif
    character0099.gif
    994 bytes · Views: 15
The savoury ones have very little salt and sugar in them , the fruit ones were quite refreshing , could be added to porridge maybe (?) . At 60 cals a pouch , you’d need to eat a few !

I have seen adventure racers and ultra lighters using them but I’ll stick with steak I think 🤔

Lightweight etc has its place, there was a time that it was much more important to me when doing multi day multi mountain type trips, I don't do that stuff any more, even when me and Smurf are climbing big hills, we're a lot less ambitious and it generally involves some decent nosebag and a liddle drinkipoo at the end of it. I still 'get' the pushing yourself stuff, I just don't have the same drives (or build) as I did and quite content with my 'pottering' round the wilderness. There's no one right way to do it.

Lightweight etc has its place, there was a time that it was much more important to me when doing multi day multi mountain type trips, I don't do that stuff any more, even when me and Smurf are climbing big hills, we're a lot less ambitious and it generally involves some decent nosebag and a liddle drinkipoo at the end of it. I still 'get' the pushing yourself stuff, I just don't have the same drives (or build) as I did and quite content with my 'pottering' round the wilderness. There's no one right way to do it.
Wait until you get to my age Andy, sometimes just walking up the garden is a struggle. Right now I'm forcing myself through the pain barrier and doing about a mile every two days

Wait until you get to my age Andy, sometimes just walking up the garden is a struggle. Right now I'm forcing myself through the pain barrier and doing about a mile every two days

Sorry to hear it Joe, I know its in the post for me too, one way or another. It can't be easy when something 'big' gets you, you can only piss with the cock you've got though I guess. Hope you have more good days than bad mate.

Sorry to hear it Joe, I know its in the post for me too, one way or another. It can't be easy when something 'big' gets you, you can only piss with the cock you've got though I guess. Hope you have more good days than bad mate.
Unfortunately more bad than good Andy Andy thanks to covid, can,t get the pain killing jabs or the op I I need then its not going to get any better. Wild nights in the woods are a thing of the past so all my gear will be going on the forum as freebies

Back