• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Camp security.... How do you fellas deal with this....

I got a mad ferret?

(or the ferret has a mad owner?.......I'll think on that one.....:oopsy:?)

Well when it comes to camp security in general, all I can say is: Use common sense. Especially when it comes to dealing with humans. Why? Just picture being the respective land owner or forest ranger: How would you react to someone desperately trying every singly trick in the book to avoid being seen/detected? The first reaction usually is: "He/she has something to hide, so something must be wrong." The rest is self-explanatory, see my posting above.

What I want to add: Communication and self-understanding always is the key. If we decide to be governed by fear, we actively work towards fear-based behaviour, if not even paranoia. Please understand that there is a huge difference between being careful and being fearful. In Germany for example, the prepper community is gradually infiltrated by radicalized individuals going fully paramilitaristic. We had "survivalists" showing up at bushcraft meetings carrying illegal firearms, talking about how every foreigner, every politician, every non right wing extremist-type of citizen, needs to be considered a threat. Then rambling on about how one should prep by storing weaponry and ammo. One of these individuals I met personally has been arrested 6 months later due to joining a nationalist militia whose members have been building IEDs to attack refugee shelters. I am not making a political statement here, but am just trying to illustrate where fear can lead us. And in the end, fear has usually nothing to do with a status quo, but with a feeling about a "What if...?"-scenario. If we actively chose to think in such a way, we could also make lorries illegal as they could crash into cars and kill people. Or launch a prohibition for kitchen knives, piano strings or more as such items could be used as a weapon. I think my aim becomes clear: One needs to take a step back, breathe in, be mindful and observe reality as it is instead of going into a rather unconscious, fearful "What if xyz???"-frenzy. That said, preparation as such is not a bad thing, of course. But again: Being careful is something else than being fearful. Greetings to all preppers out there that act accordingly, I am aware that you are the majority in your community so please don't take it as an offense.

It also can't do harm though to be prepared for animal attacks. I had my fair share encoutering a wild sow - years ago, the mother chased me up a tree after I crossed her territory, disturbing her and her shoats. Besides learning that I could climb very fast: The boar was waiting for some 3 1/2 consecutive hours for me to descend. I could argue now that we should shoot or punch the hell out of these creatures. But the true, actual lesson was that I had to be more attentive and considerate. Maybe study the behaviour of such animals properly, and talk to hunters, and so on. Had many pleasant encounters with wildlife since then, and never any significant problems. Nevertheless I tend to carry bear spray when traveling through bear-territory, and I usually always keep a knife or hatchet at hand when going to sleep - just in case. It all depends on finding a proper balance - on the one hand, "better having than needing". Then again: "Better being calm than freaking out".

As an x outdoor pig farmer, I know what those sows with litters can do!:eek:

In the UK the biggest danger is probably from a tree falling or dropping a branch on you. If you have a landowners permission or the right to be there because the landowner is open to wild camping in general your only other concern would probably be theft of your kit if it was unattended. I get around this packing up and taking everything with me if I intend going anywhere. I don't own much kit and non of it was particularly expensive but the inconvenience of losing it would annoy me.

Back