• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Camping on Ben Shee

Out back of Auchterader are some fantastic woodland, would be a great place to camp. Just make sure you don't do it on Joanne Rowlings Gaff. She's been known to send out the keeper and his dogs to run off wild campers.
That's illegal i thought? Mind you it's never good to argue with keepers...

You have taken me back a few years when I walked over the Ochills a couple of times with an old friend who has sadly passed away. His name was John Smith! Lived in Stirling and then Alloa. He climbed all the Monroes. Got us into trouble with police at times when stopped on way home from late parties. "Whats your name son?" er John Smith? Great walk though. He also had me camped on Sherrifmuir to listen to the battle! I must return some time. You are lucky to have that area on your doorstep.

A great remote location, great pictures and write up :)
Thanks Bob. It's given me a taste to explore here more. Very few people wander about the lesser Ochils as they're not high or dramatic, but its a decent area.

Last edited:
You have taken me back a few years when I walked over the Ochills a couple of times with an old friend who has sadly passed away. His name was John Smith! Lived in Stirling and then Alloa. He climbed all the Monroes. Got us into trouble with police at times when stopped on way home from late parties. "Whats your name son?" er John Smith? Great walk though. He also had me camped on Sherrifmuir to listen to the battle! I must return some time. You are lucky to have that area on your doorstep.
Thanks for sharing and a great name indeed. I do count myself lucky as I'm on these hills regularly but this is only the second time I've camped on them. It won't be the last, hopefully!

Back