• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Camping summer 2017

Not good news tipping the boats....accident waiting to happen :(

Do you think you could be asking too much from them?

These little craft are nothing more than tenders not ideal for open water even in the smallest of chop and light winds.
On a lake or estuary you would be safer......conditions allowing.

These little boats have an outboard rating for a very good reason....safe operating and handling.
Yes, its fun to add a few extra horsepower....but at what cost.

The added weight of the bigger engine and the extra horsepower WILL affect the tiny boats handling....balance and stability.

Getting a bigger boat more suited to the use you are putting it too would be a good plan.

Just thinking of your safety.......and Josh.
In Aden Bill we used 40hp Johnsons on 16 foot dorys which were only rated for 25hp's but saying that all the drivers were very very highly trained in boat handling so I'm inclined to agree with you

Not good news tipping the boats....accident waiting to happen :(

Do you think you could be asking too much from them?

These little craft are nothing more than tenders not ideal for open water even in the smallest of chop and light winds.
On a lake or estuary you would be safer......conditions allowing.

These little boats have an outboard rating for a very good reason....safe operating and handling.
Yes, its fun to add a few extra horsepower....but at what cost.

The added weight of the bigger engine and the extra horsepower WILL affect the tiny boats handling....balance and stability.

Getting a bigger boat more suited to the use you are putting it too would be a good plan.

Just thinking of your safety.......and Josh.
Both boats being used are cat c rated (ocean use) the excel with Inflatable keel is certainly not regarded as a tender but an air rib with a 10 horse rating. like many I regard a tender as 2.3 with a rating for a two horse although tenders are usually rowed to shore. All ribs are often flipped in rough sea it's part of josh learning and his sea Cadets courses also train for such situations
Not many fish today as the boys preferred powering around and towing and that don't work with rods on board ;)

IMG_9167.JPG
IMG_9171.JPG
IMG_9173.JPG

Are back to camp to find someone has decided to join our camp hope they like their view
:rofl:

IMG_9178.JPG

I didn't think you would put the boys at risk mate but the smaller engine would have been enough

We had some friends arrive today so our uninvited guests had to relocate :rolleyes:

Had a cracking day at the beach, no one was up for fishing except me so I went out on my own with brand new good quality feathers rig (it's surprising how fast they deteriate and you don't notice it till you put new ones on) I went out about 1km and drifteted for about another km. . . . Nothing so I tried slow trolling. . . . Nothing. . . . Last resort was drifting at a few well know good spots but again nothing!

All the kids and adults mostly spent the day in the water, swimming boating etc Josh wanted to practice and show his mates how he gets his boat righted when it's capsized, good idea, practice makes perfect and if he has to do it for real with a friend onboard they won't panic and will know what his doing, the outboard was off the practices as I only just dried and fogged them from the last dunking lol.

To think Josh can right his boat and get the engine going all on his own in under a minute is pretty amazing considering he's was only 13 in June!

Enjoy :D

(I'm going to post up a full thread on the technique used and boat mods that make a successful and quick righting of a capsized boat in the survival section when we're back)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And I've still got it :cool:

image.jpeg

Nice pictures of Chesil Beach and surrounding areas. Shame we weren't around or we would have joined you fishing:)

Both boats being used are cat c rated (ocean use) the excel with Inflatable keel is certainly not regarded as a tender but an air rib wsuitsith a 10 horse rating. like many I regard a tender as 2.3 with a rating for a two horse although tenders are usually rowed to shore. All ribs are often flipped in rough sea it's part of josh learning and his sea Cadets courses also train for such situations
Not many fish today as the boys preferred powering around and towing and that don't work with rods on board ;)

View attachment 11161 View attachment 11162 View attachment 11163

Are back to camp to find someone has decided to join our camp hope they like their view
:rofl:

View attachment 11164
Nice piccies!!

Anything that suits can be used as a tender, and I would describe an inflatable like those as tenders...the cat rating for these is inshore sheltered waters,c, not ocean, whatever such may mean, lol!...as it relates at least in part to stability ratings.
As a tender for example, I use a 3 metre RIB (Rigid hull... not inflatable keel, not that it would matter) with an 8 hp engine, but rated for up to 15hp, as a tender: 8hp will get 2 and gear on the plane on our RIB, and a 25kg engine is as heavy as I would wish to lift over head, on the boat, sad ol' git that I am!!

Well we was planning to spend pretty much the whole of the 6 weeks schools hols camping at the south coast, Dorset, new forest and Devon we even brought the new bell tent for summer camping lol (a stupid move I know) but with the poor weather forecast until September we now probably do only the south coast when the weather is above 20* and a few days in the new forest with wet wether tent! :mad: Oh well their is always next year :rofl: it's gonna be sickies when they forecast the week of summer in June next year lol

Good on you, a bell tent is a brilliant choice....but then I am biased!!!:thumbsup:

Either sailing....been bloody rough on our little cruise......or canoe camping has been limited, although had a lovely couple of days on the Suffolk stour (another thread)

Also on the Chelmer and Blackwater navigation for a nice paddle........:)

Nice piccies!!

Anything that suits can be used as a tender, and I would describe an inflatable like those as tenders...the cat rating for these is inshore sheltered waters,c, not ocean, whatever such may mean, lol!...as it relates at least in part to stability ratings.
As a tender for example, I use a 3 metre RIB (Rigid hull... not inflatable keel, not that it would matter) with an 8 hp engine, but rated for up to 15hp, as a tender: 8hp will get 2 and gear on the plane on our RIB, and a 25kg engine is as heavy as I would wish to lift over head, on the boat, sad ol' git that I am!!

Get a 15hp on there lol there is only a few kg weight difference (2 stroke)

Government boat categories:

As you say the directive defines the boat, the waters she may sail upon are part of that definition so category C waters are "inshore" and D are "sheltered":

Design categories (as in the amended Directive)
Category A - Ocean: Designed for extended voyages where conditions may exceed wind force 8 (Beaufort scale)
and significant wave heights of 4m and above but excluding abnormal conditions, and vessels largely self-sufficient.
Category B - Offshore: Designed for offshore voyages where conditions up to, and including, wind force 8 and
significant wave heights up to, and including, 4m may be experienced.
Category C - Inshore: Designed for voyages in coastal waters, large bays, estuaries, lakes and rivers where
conditions up to, and including, wind force 6 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 2m may be
experienced.
Category D - Sheltered: Designed for voyages on sheltered coastal waters, small bays, small lakes, rivers and
canals where conditions up to, and including, wind force 4 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 0.3m
may be experienced, with occasional waves of 0.5m maximum height, for example from passing vessels.
Craft in each Category must be designed and constructed to withstand these parameters in respect of stability,
buoyancy, and other relevant essential requirements listed, and to have good handling characteristics.

The inshore term is interesting as The EU , British Govt., Met Office, Defra etc. - all have different definitions - I have come across "inshore coastal" used as a single phrase.
There seems to be a general acceptance that 'inshore' = up to 6 miles and 'coastal' = up to 12 miles.
However some distress flares sold for inshore state they are only visible for up to 3 miles!

All my inflatable boats now and in the past have been cat C. . . . certified for use up to 6 miles off shore gale force 6 and 2metre waves. We don't usually go as far as 6 miles out, usually 1-3 miles is enough for sea fishing.

I would say the the cat D boats are what's known as tenders nowadays.

The cat C inflatable boats are more than capable and safe for ocean use in accordance with the 6 mile (or 3 depending on your flares :rofl:) offshore limit and 2 meter wave height of course :thumbsup:

You gotta love this one lol cat c boats in action big swells ;)

After 30 odd years sailing and diving, that few kilos, even at 61 is critical, when standing in the RIB! That's one (of many) of the reasons why I hate 4 strokes....

Also rowing these inflatables and RIBs in a pain, they don't row...rowing one for 6 miles, much less in any sort of breeze is way beyond me, not that I consider 6 miles off, "ocean"...p'raps I'm not so "rufty tufty" as I thought!

Re defining "tenders"....anyone seen the film, "Dunkirk"?

One of the little ships is RIIS from West Mersea.....designed and built as a late Edwardian yacht TENDER......at over 40 foot or thereabouts, and about 12foot beam...sleek and beautiful, but rolls horribly in any swell....certainly not "ocean"!!!:fedup:

The way I sea it is. . . as soon as your boat touches salt water your in the 'ocean' :D

Both have their place Lee and the weather is a factor but in daylight it has to be red smoke every time for me. A person who may not be looking in your direction is going to miss a flare, smoke lasts a lot longer
They are for completely different purposes.

Well I guess that's the season done now most sites close on the 1st October some run till the 31st to cover half term we may go away for half term if the weather permits.

Boat will soon be hauled......but off canoeing tomorrow:thumbsup:

I'm hopping for some good enough weather for some more boating this year, we will probably go to rivers now.

Back