• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

camping tax ?

Interesting read Matt, superficially I can see the logic but this kind of thing doesn't sit well with me, particularly if all you're getting is the view. As the article says, its the biggest industry and employer so visitors are already doing their bit. It just sounds greedy, same for Embra.

I was under the impression that the tourism budget was funded through council tax throughout the UK. This seems like councils wanting to be payed twice for providing a service once My disgruntlement is compounded by the fact that many tourism facilities are privately owned and would not receive money from this tax.
Some of this is a result of new legislation that allowed second homes let out for more than half of the year to evade paying council tax if they registered as a business and payed income tax instead. I know this is already biting into the budgets of some Welsh councils.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the tourism budget was funded through council tax throughout the UK. This seems like councils wanting to be payed twice for providing a service once My disgruntlement is compounded by the fact that many tourism facilities are privately owned and would not receive money from this tax.
Some of this is a result of new legislation that allowed second homes let out for more than half of the year to evade paying council tax if they registered as a business and payed income tax instead. I know this is already biting into the budgets of some Welsh councils.

And if and when the council do build facilities like toilets they're rarely free.

When you think about the size of the areas and Lochs.......they would need to install a huge amount of toilets and bins to make it viable and practical.
Lets face it.....unless you camp near a toilet that is in the area you are camping in.........who is going to walk.....or able to walk more than a few hundred yards to a toilet in the dead of night......especially if there is one in the departure lounge awaiting due release :rolleyes: 🤭

SOME people will still leave toilet tissue and piles of uncovered :poo: everywhere.....and rubbish....even if a bin is in arms reach :(:rolleyes:

Anything that helps to promote and protect/maintain these wild and precious areas is a bonus........if only we could educate some of the irresponsible and ferrel users that have total disrespect and abuse.

I would happily chip in and pay a reasonable fee to camp or pay for a clean and comfortable :poo:.......and agree that a charge for Motorhome owners/caravaners (which we once were) should be charged a fee.

It was so sad and very annoying to read that SOME Motorhomer's/Caravaners were emptying chemical toilets into the lochs/burns and on the ground....unbelievable.
So...... begs the question......should the authorities also provide service points for them too?

Nightmare.

Currently in Powys many of the council run car parks offer camper vans two nights stay for the price of the day time parking. Only some car parks are pay and display and there are usually free toilets (except Hay-on Wye for some reason) Our local car park has a drinking water tap and elsan point for free overnight stays. What we don't have in Wales is the right to wild camp without the landowners permission, some land owners have allowed it and come to regret their kindness when it was time to clean up the damage and mess.

This have happened in NZ too, in the last few years. Sadly the ease and popularity of renting a basic people carrier camper conversion have made the remoteness of NZ a tourist trap.

Sadly we got numpties living among us (as noted elsewhere on this fora) so even with four wheels people aren't leaving no trace.

So some of these wonderful. remote and utterly stunning places we visited are becoming a dump/tip/open air toilet. I have seen the news articles and photos of the aftermath and it is so sad to see.

So the many DOC (Department of Conservation) campsites which are dirt cheap and got anything from a hole in the ground to shower are having to up the cost. Because it cost DOC so much to go out a clean up after these numpties, as they have just left a trail of garbage after them.

If any wilderness is accessible without restriction there are people in all countries who will ruin it.
If restrictions and facilities, parking, toilets, viewing galleries, are provided, is it still true wilderness?

The days of Joni Mitchell's " People going to see a tree in a tree museum" get ever closer.

In Sussex I knew a Downland slope where there was a Fox Earth and Bee Orchids grew in profusion. The slope was opened up under the Rights of Access scheme and when I last visited the slope before I moved to Wales in July, the Fox's Earth was full of rubbish and drinks cans and the Bee Orchids had made way for Mountain bike tyre tracks.

"If restrictions and facilities, parking, toilets, viewing galleries, are provided, is it still true wilderness?"

I think all true wilderness in most countries disappeared with the invention of the motor vehicle Sax. :(

Taxes can’t cure stupidity, just my opinion. It has to be policed,because what’s happening is already a crime, so to make it more palatable they should give the police and rangers more of a bank balance and more backup to do there job properly. Raise the penalty for the crime and make the people who do it pay for doing it. Because sure as shit they will continue to do it and more so now as MR ME the council man is taxing them.

A tell thee if brains were dynamite then council representatives widny have enough to blow there noses.

Taxes can’t cure stupidity
So true. A photographer I follow on the tube, lost his rag when he spotted come garbage stuck into a drystone wall. Said wall was a the bottom of a reservoir that had dried out in the lakes I think, last year.

Taxes will just encourage the *******s to make mess, as they've "paid" for it/the right to make a mess...………….:mad:
RE SMC comment motorhomes in NZ: that worries me as next month that is exactly what I shall be doing with SWMBO for a month...…………:(o_O

.............and of course the true wildcamper won't be paying the tax because no one will know that anyone has been there?

So true. A photographer I follow on the tube, lost his rag when he spotted come garbage stuck into a drystone wall. Said wall was a the bottom of a reservoir that had dried out in the lakes I think, last year.

Never heard it called that before but aye, its sticky stuff..... :rolleyes:

Back