• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Canning

Far from being bollocks, canning has been a recognised food preservation process since The early 1800's...my description may have been simplistic but in essence it is a simple process of using a pressure vessel to increase the boiling point of water from 100c up to around 130c in order to kill bacterial spores.
I've preserved food my way (admittedly only vegetables) and had no problems.

We'll have to agree to disagree Ystranc. We've been bottling and canning for more than 40 years and I'll stick with the approved and safe method from USDA.

Last edited:
well that got heated hahah.

Think i will take bits from both of you guys will definatly be buying the jars and main exuipment from state side (as its far cheaper),but i will be looking in the charity shops for a pressure cooker to see if one will meet requirments.

But i will be sticking to the links you sent MikeR as im not to sure about doing things my own way and after all the YANKS have been doing this for centuries and they have to have perfected it by now (i hope).

If it was just me eating this stuff i would take more chances as i have quiet a high constitution but sadly my wife and little girl are not quiet as strong, so i have to be careful(think there just weak hahah)

That's fair comment Edd, no one should ever take chances with kids getting food poisoning....btw, the French were canning long before the Americans...it started during the Napoleonic wars

I doubt I could read Napoleonic French either Edd, I can barely understand Americans most of the time.

I really must have a go at this, being able to store food without a freezer has got to be a good idea.

Back