• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Keith

Very Addicted
At this present time, owning a cannon would be frowned upon, but after it has all gone to hell in a hand cart & there is no longer any law enforcement to protect us:rofl::rofl::rofl:, then anything goes, right? So, if you are looking for some big guns, now is the time to get them. You can pick up hydraulic rams for a song second hand, sometimes totally free. It will take very little modification to turn one of these into a Black Powder cannon. I am sure if you look at the images below you will instantly see the potential!;) Just remove the piston!
Cannons_1.jpg

Keith.

It would be legal to own an antique or collectable cannon in the UK, making new cannons or claymore mines would be frowned upon

I think ( hypothetcially - thanks ctcrm ) one could make a far cheaper directional mine that would provide greater uses and be way more devestating.

Every man should have one lone. Come on you must admit having your own canon would be cool :thumbsup:

We used to have a little brass canon in the bar that would fire AA batteries using crushed up match heads as propellant; much fun had shooting stuff at the other end of the corridor when a few beers had been had. Amazingly no serious injuries resulted!

It would be legal to own an antique or collectable cannon in the UK, making new cannons or claymore mines would be frowned upon
I don't think I could afford to purchase an antique cannon mate, but I will keep my eyes open for one :thumbsup:
Keith.

cannons for defence? isn't that a bit OTT??
Depends on your situation. The thing about all unsilenced guns is the shock value, the bigger the bang, the more shock. Firing a cannon at a group of people invading your home, raking the area with shot rather than one ball, would make them think twice.
Keith.

I think ( hypothetcially - thanks ctcrm ) one could make a far cheaper directional mine that would provide greater uses and be way more devestating.
Mines are not target specific.
Keith.

Mines are not target specific.
Keith.

Whilst True an ad hoc improvised Cannon is unlikely to be incredibly accurate - with what you'd suggest I'd be looking to pack it with shrapnel anyway if i had to press one into use unless your intending to find,source or engineer a cannon ball for exact fit.?

Whilst True an ad hoc improvised Cannon is unlikely to be incredibly accurate - with what you'd suggest I'd be looking to pack it with shrapnel anyway if i had to press one into use unless your intending to find,source or engineer a cannon ball for exact fit.?
No, what I mean by not target specific is that anyone could accidently tread on a mine, & the local wildlife would be treading on the mines all the time.
Keith.

No, what I mean by not target specific is that anyone could accidently tread on a mine, & the local wildlife would be treading on the mines all the time.
Keith.

Although victim operated fuses can be made (hence the number of IED injuries in modern conflicts) i think prime was talking about an improvised claymore type mine, which I. Effect can be thought of as a crude short barrelled cannon foring graphot over a wide arc and would normally be command detonated, i.e. Fired, so are target specific.

Although victim operated fuses can be made (hence the number of IED injuries in modern conflicts) i think prime was talking about an improvised claymore type mine, which I. Effect can be thought of as a crude short barrelled cannon foring graphot over a wide arc and would normally be command detonated, i.e. Fired, so are target specific.

Thank you for the info, but I think with my limited experience in these matters I would be better off with a cannon anyway.
Keith.

With your black powder knowledge you would find it much much easier to make a directional mine.

It is the ignition part that concerns me 38, that & the moisture attracting qualities of black powder, but thanks for your confidence.
Keith.

Back