• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Canoes

lee

Slightly Obsessed
Any recommendations on inflatable canoes chaps. . . . im thinking of heading down the Sevylor Rio route :D

Any recommendations on inflatable canoes chaps. . . . im thinking of heading down the Sevylor Rio route :D

Don't do it mate.:rolleyes:

Pain in the arse to inflate / deflate.
Prone to puncture.
Bitch to paddle in any wind, uncomfortable to ride.
Very difficult to track straight in choppy water.
Would not recommend for open water or the sea.

You would be far better off with a Canadian, or suitable sit on top Kayak.
The Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 is a great yak, built for two people, but ideal for one and kit.
Although a bit difficult to track straight in any blow, much better choice than the Sevylor.

Definitely invest in a pair of paddle pants.

I know they play up in the wind, the rio is covered so punctures are unlikely. Its mainly for my nippers light use at the campsite river (everyone takes theirs) and the beach, i will pulling him up and down all day no doubt lol (ive got a honda rib for my fun) ;)

ive found new rio's half price.

I know they play up in the wind, the rio is covered so punctures are unlikely. Its mainly for my nippers light use at the campsite river (everyone takes theirs) and the beach, i will pulling him up and down all day no doubt lol (ive got a honda rib for my fun) ;)

ive found new rio's half price.

Aghhhh right........read it wrong...........thought you were thinking for yourself mate.

Would be ideal for the little ones to play with.

A sit on top would be worth a thought for them, have a look at the Frenzy.....pick them up second hand for good money......and you could use it also :cool:

I will be using the sevylor as well lol, the covered ones are very strong there used for white water in the states, inflatable is my only option as its going be dragged up and down river banks and no doubt there will be accidents and i dont fancy a heavy canoe on our heads lol i will probably get another canadian canoe or the kaboat later when his older i cut the back off the last Canadian canoe and converted it so it had a transom it took a 4hp well, made twice its value on fleabay lol

This is the kaboat cross between a kayak and boat has transom that can take 10hp!

http://www.boatstogo.com/kayaks_sk396.asp

Last edited:
ooooh, i do like the look of that kaboat

i had a kayak when i was a boy. but i'v always promised myslf a little boat for pootling around on the river

I would go with the 12 foot and a 7.5 horse, that would plane well, at 20kg it should be easy to carry and drag up banks and beaches im thinking about holding fire on the sevylor rio (just found out new sevylor hunter fish 1 canoe model is out now and replaces the rio) and get my name down for the next batch of green kaboats but i doubt they will be ready this summer.

So for this summer im going with a sevylor fish hunter 210 lightweight boat and electric moto

Last edited:
To the northern Broads with a canvas tent this summer............ (and some sailing off the east coast too:thumbsup:!)

Attachments

• lamarsh weir 1 (2).JPG
    lamarsh weir 1 (2).JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 232
Don't do it mate.:rolleyes:

Pain in the arse to inflate / deflate.
Prone to puncture.
Bitch to paddle in any wind, uncomfortable to ride.
Very difficult to track straight in choppy water.
Would not recommend for open water or the sea..............

...a bit like inflatable tents?? :rofl:

Well I've been given the go ahead to get a canoe, it won't be until next year though, too much to find this year already :( something to look forward to though :)

Yeah thanks, already on it for a while now, I did have a look see but as I said, not ready til next year :(

Yeah thanks, already on it for a while now, I did have a look see but as I said, not ready til next year :(
I pour over it and visit it a lot, to help learn about different canoes, purposes, performances and stuff, as well as associated camping and stuff !
Unless you already know what you want, then the years wait gives you time to research stuff....which is ALMOST? as much fun!

have a 16 foot fibreglass indian canoe neverused it since my spine colapsed used to love going on the river

shaped like a indian with the high front and back try to get some pictures when i get time

Alright, maybe I have some tips for you. Where do you want to head?

I have this little banana for calm waters and lakes: INTEX EXPLORER K2 KAJAK

It can hold two individuals and does the trick for calm waters. I use it for our local lakes here - going down fast streams would be suicide though. Price is around EUR 80,-. So for the occasional trip it does the trick.

If you got the money, go for a polyester one or a proper wooden one, though. Inflatable vessels/rafts are just not made for heavy duty kayaking or canoeing.

Back