• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

CARVE IT YOURSELF - wooden trekking equipment

-building-dugout-canoe-irian-jaya-indonesia-AK1XYF.jpg

Wooden tentpoles, sectioned
(triangular tent sheets are still available in French and Swedish versiions, by the way, Polish tents are similar, quadratic german tent sheets are usual german scout equipment and stay in production)

If you make this pot hanger shorter it would become portable and would easily fit together with the saw in a small bag and the ruck sack.
After the wood dried out it will be very light.

Camping Chair and Load Carrier
in one piece of equipment.

In the pictures is added a normal ruck sack. But of course every other load, like a simple sack or a basket would work as well.
Even a wooden box.

Bone is a good option too, of course.

I re-enact the role of a mediaeval carpenter and while I make everything frrom tables to carved chests I also make a fair amount of tent pegs. I make them with an axe. Firstly there is always someone wanting pegs and I often "sell" them for a can or two of beer. Secondly the wood often comes from the firewood pile so costs nothing and thirdly and perhaps most importantly they are quick to do. People can see a log turning into tent pegs in the matter of moments as opposed to hours if they were to watch me making furniture . I quite often gets the kids asking if I ever hit my hand or cut off a finger. I've also made little wooden knives in the same way. Again it's quick and as long as there aren't scores of kids watching me they can go away with a little momento . I'm just waiting for someone to say I shouldn't be giving kids knives ( albeit small wooden toys) in the current climate and furore over knife crime.
I made one of those carrier/chair things years ago although what I ever did with it....

Can you show us pictures from that carrier- chair?

I find the idea very interesting.

Alas no pictures as I don't have it anymore but I'll try to describe it. I started with a ladder frame curved so that the concave section was closest to my body but not touching it as there were strips of webbing for comfort. Coming out of the upight sections were horizontal sections with straight stretchers between them and a brace underneath. At the end of the horizontal sections were short legs in the same plane as the main vertical sections of the frame. This allowed the thing to stand up when loaded or to be used as a chair with the load removed. Not a chair like a full sized dining chair but one that had the seat around 4" off the floor so that one's backside would be off the ground but needing the legs to be straight . The frame attached to my body with straps made from an old rucksack . I don't think I used it much as if I'm honest there werre faults with it. Worked pretty good as a carrrying frame but less so as a chair . In some respects having to stay in pretty much the same position limited it to how comfortable it was. Also I found that it needed something under the legs as without something to spread the load it had a tendency to sink into the ground.

Sorrry it's a link rather than an actual photo , seems I might be better with wood than computers

Not quite a camping chair as such but one under construction and to a large degree made in a field . It's now got the sides filled in and the panels on the front painted with saints.

Back