• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Catching the breeze.

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
With another day of temperatures in the high 20's C forecast I was out fairly early. The woodland paths alongside the lake are shadey but with all the trees in full leaf the passage of any breeze is stifled. Meanwhile the lake under it's coating of weed stews gently in the hot sun, so I headed for higher ground.
DSC00684.JPG

The white marking on the bottom of each arch support shows how low the lake level is after very little rain and high temperatures for some time now.

I made for a high point a couple of minutes walk from the coast. The site of a Neolithic settlement, it's in a good defensive position overseeing the nearby lakes and beach. The breeze blows up there, cool off the nearby sea and the silence today broken only by the buzz of Bees on the wild flowers and the occasional Sea Bird calls from overhead.
DSC00692.JPG
DSC00693.JPG

A place to sun dry my damp T shirt on the monument to the old folk. and there's shade if required nearby in the stand of Pines.
DSC00691.JPG
DSC00694.JPG

I love the sunshine but even up there the heat was approaching unpleasant levels. I had made the usual brew and some time later moved the thin Ally wind shield that had been standing in the sun. The stove had been out 20 minutes but the shield just heated by the sun was hot enough to burn my fingers. Warning bells, so I wandered home through the woods, stopping for another brew in a cool shaded place.
DSC00695.JPG

I was talking to a friend, a National Trust Ranger, the other day and he told me that there are 1,000 Ash Trees that need to be felled because of the ravages of Ash Die Back Disease. Originally they thought perhaps a couple of hundred, but their survey showed many more than expected were victims of Die Back.
Today I was sorry to notice even apparently healthy young Ash Trees are affected.
DSC00696.JPG

Fortunately there is a natural regrowth and replanting scheme of Broad leaf trees already prepared by the National Trust, so all is not lost. :thumbsup:

Sax your pics are always terrific and your write-ups full of amazing insight and quirky detail. I honestly look forward to them.

And I think I recognise that spot from before. Its a lovely area there!

Most of all I'm glad you blokes are getting some sunshine and fine weather in the Northern hemisphere...

Hope everybody is getting out and about...

Cheers

Alan

Back