• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Catching your dinner

Speedhound

Slightly Talkative
What’s everybody’s favourite thing to hunt/forage for your dinner while out? And what method do you use to do so?

I’m a fan of snares and will usually have a couple in the bag if I’m heading to a likely location or I will lamp a couple rabbits with the lurcher.

A like the old method mate. A like to stalk McDonald’s for the mean Big Mac and I use the old bank card to snare one;):rofl:

I use to hunt rabbits with an air rifle:thumbsup: and am learning about foraging at the moment. There a lot of edibles out there and a lot more that’s not lol. So am learning one at a time. :thumbsup:

I’ve no perm with Big Macs on other wise that would be my chosen quarry 😂 I use to be into the air rifles as a kid but I was never any good with them, I need a shotgun to hit something.

I’ve no perm with Big Macs on other wise that would be my chosen quarry 😂 I use to be into the air rifles as a kid but I was never any good with them, I need a shotgun to hit something.

Them Big Macs are fast little things :rofl:

A was pleasantly surprised when I ate rabbit for the first time. Little slimy but good eating.

My mate hunts with his dogs and ferits. Not something I’ve been into but he swears by it and enjoys it. He’s invited me out a few time but I’ve always been busy. Mite take him up on the offer and see what all the fus is about :thumbsup:

Get it in the slow cooker, or if you don’t mind you could batter and deep fry them 👌

You should take him up on his offer, it’s amazing to watch dogs work. There’s not long till the end of the season.

Anything i shoot with the air rifle i will eat.
Squirrel are real good though, deffinatley an under eaten resource.

There’s a local guy who spends most of his time trapping and shooting grey squirrels, he loves it.

I’m partial to a squirrel myself. My pal had a day shooting pigeons, he shot 52 so it’s fine dining for him...

I used to get razor clams and conga eels from a fisherman. Not bad eating.
River eel fried in butter is awesome.

Rabbit, pigeon, skugs .eels and the odd carp. all are good to eat plus lots of green things

Looks like your right, not had them for over 20 years. Used to get them of a mates grandad, never done much fishing myself.

Looks like your right, not had them for over 20 years. Used to get them of a mates grandad, never done much fishing myself.
When I lived in Germany many years ago we used to have great party nights eel fishing, back then smoked eel was more expensive than salmon

Last edited:
Talking about food.....we were in Mackro yesterday picking up some bits.
I looked at the fresh fish stall and was taken aback at the cost of Mackerel now......£4.79 a kilo :eek:
I will be on the beach with the rod when they are about.....get some in the freezer:thumbsup:

Talking about food.....we were in Mackro yesterday picking up some bits.
I looked at the fresh fish stall and was taken aback at the cost of Mackerel now......£4.79 a kilo :eek:
I will be on the beach with the rod when they are about.....get some in the freezer:thumbsup:
You cant beat them fresh and straight into the pan Bill

Back