• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Cb Radio As A Viable Shtf Com.

is there much to doing a Ham test ?

basic ham test (stage 1....foundation) can be trained for and taken in 7 days ...im sure if you google it there are local radio clubs near you who offer the training and the test :thumbsup:....

i did mine apox 10 yrs ago :cool:

is there much to doing a Ham test ?

Prime can you answer that one please?

As Matt said its normally undertaken via clubs over the course of weeks ( bit of a pain ) or more rare undertaken over a long weekend.

Nut to understand that you DON'T have to have a licence to own the radio equipment but you DO need a licence to TRANSMIT.

However like any skill to merely own the equipment and not get regular use from it is a bit daft - best get at least 6 months Club time in post licence to get the chatter and science down. IMO.

ok good info , I did not even know that there were clubs lol but have found one now thanks

I fully agree on having a CB.. I used to be fairly active, way back when, and decided recently that a CB was better then nothing. Think about it.. if preppers have CB, then the only ones who are on there feel the same way as you do!

I've rigged up a multi-band CB (UK and EU) with a mains/battery Power supply, 30W burner. At least it's there if we need it! A bit late after SHTF to think 'wish I had some comms'.

I also bought, when I had a bit of spare cash, a cpl of walkie talkies for our own use when out and about. Slightly expensive, but worth it. Don't forget, there won't be any commercial networks around.

A foundation level HAM test is just 26 multiple choice questions. Most are common sense usually only 2 or 3 require specific knowledge of radio frequencies or proceedures. That allows you to transmit using up to 10w which can get you half way around the world in good conditions.

But to any potential prepper reading that can't access the test for any reason its worth pointing out you DON'T need a licence if your not going to TRANSMIT. You can purchase and Listen for as long as you like.

Obviously in an Event the repercussion will be minor for transmitting....

Just saying...

Still a good idea to study for the theory as it will only improve ones ability to communicate.

Back