• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Chainsaw

divebuddy

Staff member
Just bought a small battery chainsaw. Much quieter than the 2 stroke bigger saw and reasonably easy to use. Chopped some old wood at the gun club and had a quick warm by the fire.
IMG_20221126_123238.jpg
IMG_20221126_124648.jpg
IMG_20221126_124705.jpg

Did you get any shooting in while there Dick?

Judging by the wood pile......battery life good?

Had 20 minutes with the gas ram Theoben. Battery life on the saw seems to be about 20 minutes of cutting. Only used one battery and it was still going ok when I finished.
Hi Dick

Curious about your chainsaw

Do you reckon a larger electric saw could be serious alternative for felling trees -or would you stick with a regular two stroke saw for that?

I’ve seen electric saws at the hardware in town, blowers too, but have prefered to stick with gas

Alan

Hi Dick

Curious about your chainsaw

Do you reckon a larger electric saw could be serious alternative for felling trees -or would you stick with a regular two stroke saw for that?

I’ve seen electric saws at the hardware in town, blowers too, but have prefered to stick with gas

Alan
As long as fuel is available and noise is not an issue the two stroke is probably the best. We have a local guy who helps himself to our wood when he hears the chainsaw going so using a battery driven saw keeps us under his radar! One of our members has a 24 inch battery saw which performs well for cutting down and chopping up. The batteries last about 40 minutes so not too bad as he has two but with no mains power we have to go home to recharge. My other chainsaw is a Stihl two stroke and I am comfortable servicing and repairing it. Not sure how easy the battery ones are to repair. I do like battery tools for most jobs as you don't have the faff of cables. Drill, cut-off grinder, sander, circular saw etc. Hope that helps.😀

I’ve a friend who is a tree surgeon who frequently uses a Stihl battery chainsaw when working in the canopy thinning top branches as he says it’s much more convenient. They have spare batteries and the ability to fast charge them in their truck so he’s all in favour.

K
Just bought a small battery chainsaw. Much quieter than the 2 stroke bigger saw and reasonably easy to use. Chopped some old wood at the gun club and had a quick warm by the fire.
View attachment 116532
What size wood were you cutting; I’m thinking about one for harvesting side branch’s of around 3-5 inches and wondered if it would be up to the job.

They make a great deal of sense for small jobs or confined spaces but they’re a long way off completely replacing 2stroke saws.
I remember years ago at work having to cut a slot in a beam in a room perhaps 12ft x18ft at the most. The site agent brought in a petrol chainsaw. He was upset when I refused to use it in the room and went off moaning as he had to go and fetch me an electric one. Throughout my working life I've used both and nowadays I have both but not as yet a battery jobbbie but that's only because as the others are working fine I don't feel justified in buying another. The petrol Sthil is great for most things but for stop start work the electric is much better as there's no need to restart the motor every time. Funny thing is I've always found petrol chainsaws to be more temperamental than other two strokes. I have a couple of Sthil combis , hedge cutter and blower that start without any faff but the saw sometimes plays me up. I do have the pole cutter attachment for the combi , a small chainsaw on a pole , and that's a cracking tool.

I remember years ago at work having to cut a slot in a beam in a room perhaps 12ft x18ft at the most. The site agent brought in a petrol chainsaw. He was upset when I refused to use it in the room and went off moaning as he had to go and fetch me an electric one. Throughout my working life I've used both and nowadays I have both but not as yet a battery jobbbie but that's only because as the others are working fine I don't feel justified in buying another. The petrol Sthil is great for most things but for stop start work the electric is much better as there's no need to restart the motor every time. Funny thing is I've always found petrol chainsaws to be more temperamental than other two strokes. I have a couple of Sthil combis , hedge cutter and blower that start without any faff but the saw sometimes plays me up. I do have the pole cutter attachment for the combi , a small chainsaw on a pole , and that's a cracking tool.
Yes, I have the dedicated Echo PPT 2400 with the additional extension and it’s invaluable. It allows me to work up to around 5-6 meters without climbing. Great for clearing access roads for high sided vehicles.

I saw a Stihl MS170 on market place for sale £80. It said "probably needs a new chain." I picked it up after a quick check and brought it home. Chain is brand new but fitted backwards! Bar is worn but serviceable and it runs and cuts fine. I think it was a bargain. I'll put a picture up tomorrow.

I saw a Stihl MS170 on market place for sale £80. It said "probably needs a new chain." I picked it up after a quick check and brought it home. Chain is brand new but fitted backwards! Bar is worn but serviceable and it runs and cuts fine. I think it was a bargain. I'll put a picture up tomorrow.
And that’s why it’s important to learn how to maintain your chainsaw 🤣🤣🤣….chain on backwards 🤣🤣🤣 so funny but not as rare as you might think. If someone is daft enough to fit the chain backwards they almost certainly shouldn’t have a chainsaw for their own safety.

I had a friend give me a chainsaw a little while ago. A bosch electric. He said there's something wrong with it as the chain kept coming off after a few minutes. I cleaned and checked it , tensioned it and put oil in it and tried it out and it's working fine. That made me think a chainsaw is probably not the best tool for him to own. Incidentally last year I brought the chainsaw sharpening tool from Lidl , cost about £20 and it's a decent enough tool. Ok so you need a bench and a power supply but it's a lot easier and quicker than a file and probably cheaper than buying files in the long run.

Back