• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Chancellor Kwasi

Hi folks

Haven't seen the news for a few days because I've been building a road. But sounds like Chancellor Kwasi's economic credentials may have taken a hit. But his fiscal crazy stunt is completely understandable if it was stipulated as his Lassie's price of admission to the Tory Leadership.

But doesn't it just show how rotten the political system is to the core when a PM gets appointed on the basis of their compliance in serving the interests of big business to the detriment of the national economy...?

Shame on Liz Truss and her inept Chancellor. Self servers the pair of them. They should stand aside and make way for somebody who cares for more than their own political fortunes.

Alan

"They should stand aside and make way for somebody who cares for more than their own political fortunes."

Good luck with that one Al :rofl:

Shame on Liz Truss and her inept Chancellor. Self servers the pair of them. They should stand aside and make way for somebody who cares for more than their own political fortunes.
That would trigger a call for a general election which would almost certainly see the Conservative party thrown out of power. No Conservative back bencher is going to force a no confidence vote with that hanging over them and Liz Truss is every bit as shameless as Boris was, she will have to be physically dragged out of Downing Street…there is no chance that she’ll resign.

Mike, between them and acting contrary to informed advice, this Lizzie (Not to be confused with HM Lizzie of course ) and Chancellor Kwasi have cost your UK economy millions of dollars through their recklessness. Any CEO or regular employee who brought such economic havoc down on their company would be swiftly shown the door. But politicians always see themselves as unaccountable to the standards that decent, hard-working and competent people follow.

I think this arrogance effects both sides of politics, but I get the feeling that these next elections will be the last gasps of the conservative Right unless they reinvent themselves as popularists

I agree but the UK became particularly polarised over Brexit and I’m not sure that there is a desire to return to centrist politics even though serious, sensible guys like Rory Stewart (former soldier, MP, minister and Conservative leadership candidate who stood against Boris) are talking up centrist policy.

I quote him as saying that our political leaders had “retreated to a madhouse of mutual insults in the Gothic shouting chamber of Westminster, pitting one group against another – rich against poor, London against the rest, Brexit against remain – and all the time getting further and further away from compromise, practical solutions, and the centre ground.”

The general public seems to be incapable of remembering the lies and unforced mistakes while the media flits from one bit of juicy gossip to the next and only rarely holds politicians to account. I think Liz Truss will survive this because she is as shameless as Boris.

Last edited:
Rory Stewart eh? Funnily enough I actually met that fella a couple times in the 'Ghan. Would have been more than 15 years ago now. Turned out we had both been in Iraq at about the same time and so shared a drink one evening mulling over 'the bad old days'. He then went to work with an old mate of mine in the States, before bailing to become a UK politician

Seemed an OK bloke, interesting himself but also interested in others and a good listener.

Although I'm not up on my UK politics ( ours are bad enough), his quote you reference seems to capture the craziness, divisiveness and irrationality of political life. What a sorry mess!

But as my wife always says. Who'd want to do it? Apparently all the worst people.

Alan

But as my wife always says. Who'd want to do it? Apparently all the worst people.

I've always said this, anyone who wants to control other people is not suited to the job and most of them are in it to line their pockets just waiting to collect the early pension.

Exactly. I've often thought politics should be a voluntary undertaking. If people feel strongly enough about shaping our society of others let them do so at their own expense.

I'd rather decision makers be motivated by altruism than self interest. Oh and another thing. If politicians make decisions that incur losses to our society and economy they should be held personally financially responsible for those losses. That should deter economic adventuring in the style of Chancellor Kwasi.

Alan

Exactly. I've often thought politics should be a voluntary undertaking. If people feel strongly enough about shaping our society of others let them do so at their own expense.

I'd rather decision makers be motivated by altruism than self interest. Oh and another thing. If politicians make decisions that incur losses to our society and economy they should be held personally financially responsible for those losses. That should deter economic adventuring in the style of Chancellor Kwasi.

Alan
Exactly!
Now that would be a government worthy of a vote … at the very least, a public punishment for wrongful doing. As you say Alan A personal financial fine would stop the buggers fluffing things up, would possibly mean that they would allow the public more say in more decisions so the blame could be passed if it went wrong.. that’s a plus 👍🏻

Exactly!
Now that would be a government worthy of a vote … at the very least, a public punishment for wrongful doing. As you say Alan A personal financial fine would stop the buggers fluffing things up, would possibly mean that they would allow the public more say in more decisions so the blame could be passed if it went wrong.. that’s a plus 👍🏻
Would that be the same public that voted for Brexit and Boris the liar?🧐😂😂😂

I’m giving a link to the timeline of events, Boris was in fact voted in by general election after serving as Theresa May’s replacement.

Last edited:
A713FBD0-174E-4490-98EF-CD7AC1C39E8A.jpeg

I’m giving a link to the timeline of events, Boris was in fact voted in by general election after serving as Theresa May’s replacement.

No the Conservative party was voted in by the public (not me I might add) at election, Boris just happened to be their leader at the time. :rolleyes:

At present the shortest time a PM has served was Canning in 1827, 119 days but he died. Hopefully Truss could break that record and get ousted sooner. In her 39 days so far, she’s done more about turns than the marching band at the Edinburgh tattoo 🤔

Back